Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque in circular fluid motion

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    I'm reading a book (intro to, by Davidson) about MHD now, but found I'm a bit rusty on tensors and curvilinear coordinates. It is written that for a circular flow the azimuthal component of the NS equations in the steady state gives (with F some body force)

[tex]\tau _{r \theta} r^2 =-\int _0 ^r r^2 F_{\theta} dr [/tex]

Shouldn't this read, for axisymmetric flow, without the square on both r's? I would argue that the remaining terms in the NS equations

[tex]\sigma _{ij,i}+F_j=0[/tex]

would yield for the azimuthal ([itex] \theta[/itex]) component (any suggestions welcome if the notation is obscure):

[tex] F_{\theta} = -\nabla \cdot \overline{\overline{\sigma}}_{\theta}=-\frac{1}{r} \frac{d}{dr}(r\sigma_{r \theta})[/tex]

Now the author continues,

[tex]\tau_{r \theta}=\mu r \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{u_{\theta}}{r})[/tex]

In which he says he used Newtons law of viscosity, which I think one can write

[tex]\tau_{ij}=\mu u_{i,j}[/tex]

(Is it by the way ok to write this as [tex]\overline{\overline{\tau}}=\mu \nabla \vec{u}[/tex]?)

But how does one come from that to the (r, theta) component?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2007 #2
    I managed to get the r,theta component of the stress tensor as it is written in the book now. But I still can't see why there would be squares on the r's in the first formula I posted; anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?