1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant figures/rounding what the heck.

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    Didn't use the template because it didn't make sense to do so for my question..

Simple question here regarding significant figures. I am working through a textbook and in the answer section they often seem to round off to odd numbers which makes no sense to me. I decided to ignore it at first because I am so sure that I am doing it correctly, I mean... I learned to round in grade 2 :rolleyes: . But it seems to happen a lot and I figure that the person writing the text wasn't an idiot so...

for [tex]\frac{1.20kg}{2.99x10^{-26}kg}[/tex] they have their answer as [tex]4.02x10^{25}[/tex]. I say that its [tex]4.01x10^{25}[/tex]

Who's right? and why if I am not right.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

According to my TI-83, you're right. Why is this bugging you? It's irrelevant. They often make mistakes, since writing down solutions on back pages of books isn't a very exciting and caution-keeping job. :wink:

4. Dec 16, 2006 #3
    Okay, I thought I was losing my mind or something. lol

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  5. Dec 16, 2006 #4
    I definitely agree that it is pretty insignificant, but it was happening like 1/5th of the time so it started to bug me.

6. Dec 16, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to remember that significant figures are a heuristic device that usually approximates a reasonable estimate of error.

As such, there really isn't a "right" answer, and there are several different approaches to it. For example, "round to the nearest even number" is not terribly infrequent.

7. Dec 16, 2006 #6
    Yes. Just remember that with rounding to Sig. Figs, that as long as your answer is realitively close to the correct answer, it's correct. I mean, most times you wouldn't get the same answer, but just make sure yours is around it.

8. Dec 16, 2006 #7
    Alright great. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?