Significant figures/rounding what the heck.

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person's confusion regarding rounding off numbers to significant figures in a textbook. They noticed that the textbook often rounds off to odd numbers and were unsure if their own calculations were correct. They also question the reliability of the textbook's answers and the importance of significant figures. The conversation concludes with the understanding that as long as the calculated answer is close to the correct answer, it is considered correct when rounding to significant figures.
dontdisturbmycircles
Didn't use the template because it didn't make sense to do so for my question..

Simple question here regarding significant figures. I am working through a textbook and in the answer section they often seem to round off to odd numbers which makes no sense to me. I decided to ignore it at first because I am so sure that I am doing it correctly, I mean... I learned to round in grade 2 :rolleyes: . But it seems to happen a lot and I figure that the person writing the text wasn't an idiot so...

for [tex]\frac{1.20kg}{2.99x10^{-26}kg}[/tex] they have their answer as [tex]4.02x10^{25}[/tex]. I say that its [tex]4.01x10^{25}[/tex]

Who's right? and why if I am not right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to my TI-83, you're right. Why is this bugging you? It's irrelevant. They often make mistakes, since writing down solutions on back pages of books isn't a very exciting and caution-keeping job. :wink:

Okay, I thought I was losing my mind or something. lol

Last edited:
I definitely agree that it is pretty insignificant, but it was happening like 1/5th of the time so it started to bug me.

You have to remember that significant figures are a heuristic device that usually approximates a reasonable estimate of error.

As such, there really isn't a "right" answer, and there are several different approaches to it. For example, "round to the nearest even number" is not terribly infrequent.

Yes. Just remember that with rounding to Sig. Figs, that as long as your answer is realitively close to the correct answer, it's correct. I mean, most times you wouldn't get the same answer, but just make sure yours is around it.

Alright great. Thanks :)

FAQ: Significant figures/rounding what the heck.

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in science?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that contribute to its precision. They indicate the level of certainty or precision in a measurement or calculation. In science, it is important to use the correct number of significant figures to accurately represent the data and avoid misleading results.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a number?

To determine the number of significant figures, start counting from the leftmost non-zero digit and continue until the last digit. For example, the number 450 has two significant figures, while the number 0.0024 has two significant figures as well.

3. What are the rules for rounding off numbers to the correct number of significant figures?

The general rule for rounding off numbers is to look at the digit immediately to the right of the last significant figure. If this digit is 5 or greater, round up the last significant figure. If the digit is less than 5, leave the last significant figure unchanged. If the digit is exactly 5, round up if the last significant figure is odd and leave it unchanged if it is even.

4. Can I use significant figures when multiplying or dividing numbers?

Yes, when multiplying or dividing numbers, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the factor with the least number of significant figures. For example, if you multiply 2.5 by 3.4, the answer should be rounded to two significant figures, which would be 8.5.

5. How do significant figures affect the final answer in scientific calculations?

Significant figures play a crucial role in scientific calculations as they indicate the confidence level of the final answer. The final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. Any additional digits in the final answer are considered to be uncertain and should be rounded off.