What is the Yield Strength of Silicon for MEMs Applications?

In summary, the conversation discusses the research being done with MEMs and the need to design silicon wafers with cantilever beams to act as an accelerometer. The speaker is looking for the yield strength of silicon in order to determine the breaking point of the beams, but is having trouble finding the information. They mention the possibility of pure silicon not being the material used in MEMs and ask for help in finding the mechanical properties. A source is provided, along with the information that silicon is brittle and its tensile strength can vary due to surface properties and defects. A recommended resource for further information is also mentioned.
TylerJames
So I'm doing research with MEMs so we're going to be making silicon wafers that will have little cantilever beams on them which will act as an accelerometer. I need to design it so the beams break at certain forces but to do that I need the yield strength of silicon (that is the correct property isn't it?) and I can't find it anywhere. I'm thinking maybe pure silicon is not the material that's used in MEMs so if someone could point me in the direction to where I could find those mechanical properties that'd be awesome! Thanks

Tyler

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a good source:

http://parts.jpl.nasa.gov/docs/JPL%20PUB%2099-1D.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Silicon doesn't yield; it's brittle, so it fractures. And just like any brittle material, its tensile strength is very sensitive to surface properties and defects. That's why you'll probably find a large range of reported values for tensile strength, and why you'll probably be disappointed if you expect your structures to break reliably at a certain load every time.

You might find Cook's "Strength and sharp contact fracture of silicon," J Mater Sci 41 (2006) to be useful.

What is silicon?

Silicon is a chemical element with the symbol Si and atomic number 14. It is a hard, brittle crystalline solid with a blue-grey metallic luster.

What are the properties of silicon?

Some of the properties of silicon include its high melting and boiling points, low density, and ability to conduct electricity. It is also a semiconductor, meaning it can be used in electronic devices.

How is silicon used in technology?

Silicon is used extensively in technology due to its semiconducting properties. It is a key component in the production of microchips, solar cells, and other electronic devices.

What are the health effects of silicon?

Silicon is generally considered to be non-toxic and has no known biological role. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of silicon dust may cause respiratory issues.

Where is silicon found?

Silicon is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making up about 28% of its mass. It is found in various minerals such as quartz, silica, and clay. It is also found in trace amounts in the human body.