Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silk Meshing

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    I am working on a project that involves making a replacement for the acetabular labrum. Our goal is to make a porous replica (same size, shape and tensile properties.) However, I need to find a way to coat the outside of this with silk fibers so that a surgeon has something he can stitch through when attaching to the body.

Does anyone know of any ideas of making silk meshes? I have a bunch of silk cocoons that I can use but I can order some other things.

One method I'm looking at is mixing silk with lithium bromide and placing it in dialysis tubing - the lithium bromide to transport out of the tubing (carrying the silk along with it), leaving a mesh along the inside since the silk can't escape through like the LiBr. Does anyone know of any other methods? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted