Creating Replacement Acetabular Labrum with Silk Fibers

• Thread starter EpiGen
  • Start date
In summary: Your name]In summary, the poster is working on a project to create a replacement for the acetabular labrum using a porous replica. They are looking for ideas on how to coat the replica with silk fibers for surgical attachment. Suggestions include using processed silk cocoons, electrospinning, freeze-drying, and using silk fibroin powder or film. The method of mixing silk with lithium bromide and placing it in dialysis tubing is also mentioned, but more research is recommended before using it.
EpiGen
I am working on a project that involves making a replacement for the acetabular labrum. Our goal is to make a porous replica (same size, shape and tensile properties.) However, I need to find a way to coat the outside of this with silk fibers so that a surgeon has something he can stitch through when attaching to the body.

Does anyone know of any ideas of making silk meshes? I have a bunch of silk cocoons that I can use but I can order some other things.

One method I'm looking at is mixing silk with lithium bromide and placing it in dialysis tubing - the lithium bromide to transport out of the tubing (carrying the silk along with it), leaving a mesh along the inside since the silk can't escape through like the LiBr. Does anyone know of any other methods? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project and asking for ideas on making silk meshes. I have some suggestions that may be helpful to you.

Firstly, using silk cocoons is a good starting point as they are a natural source of silk fibers. However, in order to create a strong and durable mesh, it is important to properly process the silk fibers. This can involve boiling the cocoons to remove any sericin (a protein glue) and then stretching and drying the fibers to align them in a specific direction.

One method for creating silk meshes is electrospinning, where a high voltage is applied to a solution of silk and a polymer, causing the solution to form a fine mesh of fibers. This method allows for control over the size and shape of the mesh, and the addition of a polymer can improve the strength and stability of the mesh.

Another method is freeze-drying, where a silk solution is frozen and then placed in a vacuum to remove the water, leaving behind a porous mesh. This method allows for the incorporation of other materials, such as drugs or growth factors, into the silk mesh.

Additionally, you could consider using silk fibroin powder or film to create a mesh. Silk fibroin is the structural protein in silk and can be dissolved in various solvents to form a solution that can be molded or spun into a mesh.

I am not familiar with the method you mentioned of mixing silk with lithium bromide and placing it in dialysis tubing, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. However, I would recommend conducting thorough research and testing before using this method for creating a surgical mesh.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you in your project. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a replacement acetabular labrum and why is it needed?

A replacement acetabular labrum is a synthetic structure made of silk fibers that is used to replace a damaged or injured labrum in the hip joint. The labrum is a ring of cartilage that helps to stabilize the hip joint and cushion the bones. It is needed when the natural labrum becomes damaged or torn, causing pain and instability in the hip joint.

2. How are silk fibers used to create the replacement acetabular labrum?

Silk fibers are first extracted from silkworm cocoons and then processed into a fibrous material. This material is then molded into the shape of a labrum and coated with a biocompatible material to ensure compatibility with the body. The labrum is then implanted into the hip joint, where it will integrate with the surrounding tissues.

3. What are the benefits of using silk fibers for the replacement acetabular labrum?

Silk fibers have a high strength-to-weight ratio, making them a durable and strong material for the replacement labrum. They also have a natural biocompatibility, meaning they are less likely to cause an adverse reaction in the body. Additionally, silk fibers have the potential to promote tissue growth and healing, which can improve the long-term success of the replacement labrum.

4. How effective is the replacement acetabular labrum made with silk fibers?

Studies have shown that the use of silk fibers in creating a replacement acetabular labrum has been successful in restoring stability and function to the hip joint. However, the long-term effectiveness and durability of this treatment is still being studied and further research is needed.

5. What are the potential risks or complications associated with a replacement acetabular labrum made with silk fibers?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with the use of silk fibers for a replacement acetabular labrum. These may include infection, tissue rejection, and failure of the labrum to integrate with the surrounding tissues. It is important to discuss these potential risks with your doctor before undergoing the procedure.