Depreciating Printer Value: Algebra 2 Midterm Question Answered

• Thread starter marmot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, the conversation discusses an algebra 2 midterm question about the value of a printer that depreciates 5% per year. The first solution attempted uses a differential equation, but is found to be incorrect. The second solution uses the formula P=exp(-0.051293t)Po and the conversation also touches on the difference between continuously compounded interest and annually compounded interest.
marmot
o my bro ahd an algebra 2 midterm and a question was this:

) A printer costs $35,000 (how old are these questions lol) but it depreciates 5% a year. What is the value by the 4th year?

ok so being an overtly complex person i tried to model a differential equation of this just for the kicks.

At first I thought

dP/dt=-0.05P

where P is price

and the solution is Po*exp(-0.5t) where Po=35000

however this is wrong. So I assumed I did not know r from dP/dt=-rP and worked the problem by finding the initial values.

so the solution gives me P=exp(-.051293t)Po which is correct.

I don't grasp intuitively the answer. why is dP/dt=.051293P when the problem says it goes down 0.5 each year so I assume P changes over time by -0.05P per year?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
marmot said:
I don't grasp intuitively the answer. why is dP/dt=.051293P when the problem says it goes down 0.5 each year so I assume P changes over time by -0.05P per year?

P does change by 0.5 per year. Look up continuously compounded interest vs annually compounded interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest

Last edited:
That's weird. Where did my posts go? I swear I answered this question already...

What is a "silly modeling question"?

A "silly modeling question" is a question that may seem trivial or nonsensical, but can actually serve as a useful thought experiment or tool for understanding complex scientific concepts.

How can "silly modeling questions" be used in scientific research?

Silly modeling questions can be used to challenge traditional ways of thinking and spark creative problem-solving. They can also be used to simplify complex ideas and make them more accessible to a wider audience.

Are "silly modeling questions" taken seriously in the scientific community?

While they may not be taken as seriously as more traditional scientific inquiries, silly modeling questions can still be valuable tools for exploring new ideas and pushing the boundaries of scientific thinking.

Can "silly modeling questions" provide reliable results?

The results of silly modeling questions should not be considered as definitive or scientifically rigorous as traditional research methods. However, they can provide valuable insights and can be used to generate hypotheses for further investigation.

How can I come up with "silly modeling questions" for my own research?

One way to generate silly modeling questions is to think outside the box and challenge conventional wisdom. You can also draw inspiration from everyday life and ask yourself seemingly absurd or whimsical questions about the world around you.