Silly Question about Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a fun problem involving a clicky pen and its maximum height when the button is pressed. The equation for potential energy is used to determine the kinetic energy of the pen at the top of its flight. There is a connection between the potential and kinetic energy, with the potential energy being converted into kinetic energy at the top of the pen's flight.
nhmllr
I gave myself a fun little problem to pass the time
I have this clicky pen, that retracts and pops out the point when you press the button on the back
If you press the button down on a table and let go, the button makes the pen pop up a few inches
I was curious- if you knew the maximum height the pen popped up (hm)
the mass of the pen (m)
and acceleration due to gravity (g)
what is the energy created by the button?

My first method was thinking of the height as function of time (a parabola) of equation
h = -g/2 * t2 + vi*t
The highest point/axis of symmetry is -b/2a =
-vi/[-g*2/2] = vig

Then, sub that into get the max height
-g/2 * vi2/g2 + vi (vi/g)=
-vi2/2g +vi2/g =
vi2/2g

So, hm = vi2/2g
hm * 2g = vi2
Then KE = 1/2 * m * v2
KE = 1/2 * m * hm * 2g
KE = m * hm * g
Which I remember is just the equation for potential energy!
There's a connection here-- and I think I kinda of get it, but can somebody else explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you press the button, the potential energy stored in the spring (or whatever) is converted into kinetic energy of the pen.

At the top of its flight, the velocity is zero so the kinetic energy is zero, and the energy has been converted into gravitational potentiial energy.

Assuming no energy is converted to anything else (no air resistance, no sound from the "click", etc),
KE = GPE
mv^2/2 = mgh

I agree with AlephZero

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

How is potential energy related to gravity?

Potential energy is related to gravity because it is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. The higher an object is lifted, the more potential energy it has due to the force of gravity pulling it back down.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This often occurs when the reference point used to calculate potential energy is chosen arbitrarily. Negative potential energy does not mean the object has less energy, but rather that the energy is stored in a different form than the chosen reference point.

How is potential energy measured?

Potential energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy. However, it can also be measured in other units, such as foot-pounds or calories, depending on the system of measurement being used.

What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a raised weight, or a charged battery. These objects have the potential to do work and release energy when their position or state changes.