Finding the Middle: Calculating In-Between Numbers

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation is about how to mathematically describe the number of integers between two given numbers, specifically in the context of counting integers. The participants discuss the formula for finding this number and the importance of being specific in mathematical language. They also mention the practical applications of wanting to know this value.
Square1
OK so this is probably a very silly and easy question...

How do you say mathematically the amount that is in between to numbers?

For example, between six and three, there are two numbers (4 and 5). But you don't say that it is the difference of 6 and 3, because that is saying 6 - 3 right? ... = 3.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Square1 said:
For example, between six and three, there are two numbers (4 and 5).
Sorry to nitpick, but this is not true. There are a heck of a lot of numbers between 3 and 6: 3.5, 16/3, π, 5.714285714... the list goes on.

Square1 said:

For example, between six and three, there are two numbers (4 and 5). But you don't say that it is the difference of 6 and 3, because that is saying 6 - 3 right? ... = 3.

You are counting integers - a very small subset of numbers.
The number of integers between 3 and 6 - exclusive of 3 and 6 - is 2.
The number of integers between 3 and 6 - inclusive of 3 and 6 - is 4.

Square1 said:

Are you looking for a formula? If n and m are integers with n > m then the number of integers strictly between them is n - m - 1.

did u mean this... 3 < a < 6..? so that the number of a is 3 and 4..

all-black said:
did u mean this... 3 < a < 6..? so that the number of a is 3 and 4..
No. If a is an integer, then the two values that satisfy this inequality are 4 and 5. If a is a real number, then there are an uncountable infinity of numbers between 3 and 6.

Also, please refrain from using "textspeak" such as u for you.

Mark44 said:
No. If a is an integer, then the two values that satisfy this inequality are 4 and 5. If a is a real number, then there are an uncountable infinity of numbers between 3 and 6.

Also, please refrain from using "textspeak" such as u for you.

ohh.. i see that..

sorry for the inconvenience also..
just a new member here..

Hey sorry I guess I should have been more detailed. No, its not nitpicking. Yea I am talking about integers. Dave and Kurtz seem to be heading more in the direction that I wanted to.

Excluding the two outside numbers, one would say there are two integers (ie whole units) in between 3 and 6. So again, how else do you say this this mathematically that is as natural and common as asking to someone to subtract let's say a price from the amount paid. I've noticed that the result is as Kurtz says...((n-m) -1), but I am looking for a name for this value. The difference between n and m is , well, the difference, given by n-m. This "in between amount" thing is however n-m-1.

Is it common to ask of such values? Where in life do you often want to know that kind of value?

Thanks all.

What is "Finding the Middle"?

"Finding the Middle" is a mathematical concept used to calculate the number that falls in between two given numbers. It is also known as calculating the average or mean of two numbers.

How do you calculate the middle number?

To calculate the middle number, you add the two given numbers and divide the sum by 2. The resulting number is the middle number.

What is the purpose of finding the middle number?

The purpose of finding the middle number is to determine the average or mean of two numbers. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as determining the average temperature, average speed, or average score in a set of data.

Can the middle number be a decimal or fraction?

Yes, the middle number can be a decimal or fraction. When calculating the middle number, the sum of the two given numbers may result in a decimal or fraction, which will then become the middle number. This can be useful in situations where more precise calculations are needed.

Is finding the middle number the same as finding the median?

No, finding the middle number is not the same as finding the median. The middle number is the average of two given numbers, while the median is the middle number in a set of numbers arranged in ascending or descending order. The median is also known as the second quartile in statistics.