Similar Matrices to the k power

In summary, the matrix Bk+1 is similar to the matrix Bk if and only if the matrix Bk is similar to the matrix P-1AkP.
Dustinsfl
If A and B are similar matrices, show that Ak and Bk are similar.
I am almost positive this has to be done by induction.

p(k):= Bk=S-1*Ak*S
p(k+1):= Bk+1=S-1*Ak+1*S
Assume p(k) is true.

I know I could take p(k) and multiply right by A but I don't think that will go any where.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [tex]B=P^{-1}AP[/tex], then [tex]B^k=[/tex]... ?

I forgot to mention I am proving this for each positive integer or the natural numbers.

You don't need induction here.
Answer the previous poster's question, what is Bk in terms of A?
If you can't get that right away, try it for a smaller integer. If B=P-1AP, what is B2? You should see how the answer follows.

So I am going to obtain s inverse to the k a to the k and s to the k which is equal to b to the k

Dustinsfl said:
So I am going to obtain s inverse to the k a to the k and s to the k which is equal to b to the k

No, matrices don't commute under multiplication in general.

Edit: Although, if they did, you'd be home free, too...but they don't!

What should I do then with (S-1*A*S)k then?

Write it out.

Try small powers. For example, k=2
(XYZ)2=(XYZ)(XYZ)=XYZXYZ
Now try it for (P-1AP)2=...

After you have that done you can generalize to the power of k.

VeeEight said:
Now try it for (P-1AP)2=...

I not sure about this part.

Just multiply the term by itself.
(XYZ)2=(XYZ)(XYZ)=XYZXYZ

Never mind my eyes were playing tricks on me I thought that was p- not to the power.

I see how it works since the middle terms become I which goes away. I now that this will happen for where each last term meets the first time but I am still unsure how to prove it.

If you see it for the smaller powers (for k=2,3.. etc), it is easy to generalize to the power of k. You can use induction if you want but it is not really needed.

You will use induction after all. But now that you see the pattern, you should be able to make it work.

If I use my term to the k+1, what do I do after I separate it to term to the k times term to the first?

(P-1AP)k+1 = (P-1AP)k(P-1AP). Then apply the induction hypothesis (assuming you proved a base case).

This is the step I am stuck on.

What exactly are you stuck on? Apply the induction hypothesis to the term (P-1AP)k. This will give you the familiar paring of the P and P-1 terms when you multiply it by P-1AP.

So you have (P-1AP)k(P-1AP) = (P-1AkP)(P-1AP) = P-1Ak(PP-1)AP = ...
Your result follows from this.

By assumption, Bk = P-1AkP.

So Bk+1 = BkB = ?

I was working the wrong side of the equation was the issue thanks.

1. What are similar matrices to the k power?

Similar matrices to the k power are matrices that have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors as the original matrix raised to the power of k. This means that they have the same overall structure and can be transformed into each other through a change of basis.

2. How do you determine if two matrices are similar to the k power?

To determine if two matrices are similar to the k power, you can compute the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of both matrices. If they are identical, then the matrices are similar to the k power. You can also check if the matrices have the same rank, determinant, and trace, as these properties are preserved under similarity transformations.

3. What is the significance of similar matrices to the k power in linear algebra?

Similar matrices to the k power are important in linear algebra because they help us understand the properties and behavior of matrix transformations. They also allow us to simplify computations by using diagonal or triangular matrices, which have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors as the original matrix raised to the power of k.

4. Can similar matrices to the k power have different dimensions?

No, similar matrices to the k power must have the same dimensions. This is because the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix are dependent on its dimensions. If two matrices have different dimensions, they cannot have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors and therefore cannot be similar to the k power.

5. How can we use similar matrices to the k power in practical applications?

Similar matrices to the k power are commonly used in applications such as data compression and image processing. By transforming a matrix into its diagonal or triangular form, we can reduce the number of computations needed for certain operations. This can significantly improve the efficiency of algorithms and save time and resources in practical applications.