Similarity and change of basis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
teleport
Messages
240
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider the 2-dimensional complex vector space V of functions spanned by sin x and cos x. For a fixed real number α, define a linear operator T ≡ Tα on V by putting T(f(x)) = f(x + α). Find the matrices [T]B and [T]E of T relative to the bases B = {cos x, sin x} and E = {cos x + i sin x, cos x − i sin x}. Find an invertible matrix P implementing the similarity between [T ]B and [T]E :

[tex][T]_B = P[T]_EP^{-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I found T_B and T_E and I think I'm probably right because their tr and det are equal. Sorry if I don't show all that work because it is long. My problem is to get P. I am not sure how to get this. Thanks for any suggestions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you know about transformation matrices between different bases?