Simple AC circuit with L and parasitic R

In summary, the circuit has a non-ideal inductor with parasitic resistance, which causes a +15 degree phase shift in the output signal at 50kHz.
anthonuc

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs894.snc4/72731_10150110340044992_712009991_7710053_709779_n.jpg

The circuit has a non-ideal inductor with parasitic R. v0(t) goes to coswt as the limit of w goes to zero.

The output signal has a +15 degree phase shift at 50kHz.

Determine L

Homework Equations

arctan(z1)-arctan(z2)=arctan[(z1-z2)/(1+z1z2)]

V0(t)= Xa * |H| * cos(wt+angle H)

H = a+bj
angle H = arctan(b/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I change the impedances to 50 for the resistor and jwL for the inductor. Then using voltage division I get Vo = Vi(jwL/(jwL+50)) where (jwL/(jwL+50)) = H

However when trying to get the angle of H i get arctan(wL/0)-arctan(wL/50) and the arctan identity formula doesn't seem to help as the first value just goes to pi/2. Can I set the angle to 15 degrees and use w = 2pi*f where f =50khz to solve for L?

Trying this I get L = 5.9e-4 Henrys. Does this seem right? Feels low.

I don't know what to make of the first hint either with the limit of w going to zero.

Thanks if you read/help, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what all those equations are for. Impedances in series add. Ztotal = ZR + ZL.

Use the complex equivalent of V=IR: V=IZ, or V(t)=I(t)Ztotal

V(t) = 2cos(wt)

Now you can find the current through the series circuit using V(t)=I(t)Ztotal. This is also the current through the inductor.

Next, apply V=IZ again to find the voltage across the inductor. This time V=Vinductor and Z=iwL. Vinductor will have a different phase from the voltage source. This phase difference is what you are after.

Last edited:
Hmm. Well in class we were taught to use sinusoidal steady states to solve these problems which is where the relevant equations came from.

Using your method I get I=IL=(jwL+50)/(2costwt)

Then solving for VL in V=IZ I get

VL = (-w2L2+50jwL) / 2coswt

However I'm not sure what to do with this. This has a different phase from the voltage source?

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/L-R.PNG

You are asked to work out the inductance, so you can work it out from the above diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help but I've managed to solve it correctly.

You use sinusoidal steady state to find the parasitic R in the inductor. The R attached in the circuit is not the parasitic R. It's just a regular resistor. There's also some unknown parasitic resistance in the non-ideal inductor.

Parasitic R = Rp

You use Vo = 2coswt*(jwl + Rp) / (jwl + Rp + 50).

Set this equation equal to coswt as w goes to zero and you'll get Rp = 50.

Knowing this value you can plug it back into this equation:

Vo = 2coswt*(jwl + Rp) / (jwl + Rp + 50)

and use H = (jwl + Rp) / (jwl + Rp + 50)

the angle of H = 15 degrees when f = 50Khz where w=2pi*f

the angle of H = arctan(50/(100000*pi*L) - arctan(100/100000*pi*L) = 15 degrees

Then you can use the identity

arctan(z1)-arctan(z2)=arctan[(z1-z2)/(1+z1z2)]

and get a solvable equation for L. You get a quadratic polynomial but it should be easy enough to solve in the end.

I ended up with L = 85mH

Actually I still have to find out what the correct answer will be since my quadratic actually gives me negative roots.

Hope this can be help for future references at least! I appreciate your guys' help.

Last edited:

1. What is a simple AC circuit with L and parasitic R?

A simple AC circuit with L and parasitic R refers to a circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a parasitic resistor (R) connected in series with an alternating current (AC) source. These components can cause the circuit to exhibit different behaviors, such as inductive reactance and parasitic resistance, which can affect the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of using an inductor in this type of circuit?

The inductor in a simple AC circuit with L and parasitic R serves to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It resists changes in the current flow and can create a phase shift between the current and voltage, resulting in inductive reactance. This can be useful in applications such as filters, oscillators, and transformers.

3. What is a parasitic resistor and how does it affect the circuit?

A parasitic resistor is an unintended or unwanted resistance in a circuit, which can come from various sources such as the materials used or the layout of the circuit. In a simple AC circuit with L and parasitic R, this resistance can cause power loss and alter the behavior of the circuit, leading to deviations from ideal performance.

4. How does the presence of inductance and parasitic resistance affect the impedance of the circuit?

Inductance and parasitic resistance can both contribute to the overall impedance of the circuit. Inductance results in inductive reactance, which is directly proportional to the frequency of the AC source. On the other hand, parasitic resistance adds to the total resistance of the circuit, increasing the overall impedance. Both of these components can affect the amount of current that can flow through the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of a simple AC circuit with L and parasitic R?

This type of circuit can be found in a variety of electronic devices, such as power supplies, audio amplifiers, and motor controllers. It can also be used in radio frequency (RF) circuits and communication systems. Additionally, understanding the behavior of this circuit can be useful in designing more complex circuits and troubleshooting issues that may arise in these applications.