How Can Basic Algebraic Skills Be Applied in Electrical Engineering?

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help in finding an application for the algebraic skills learned in a module on Systems of Linear Equations, Inequalities, and Problem Solving. The student is considering asking someone in the field of Electrical Engineering, but also mentions finding an example on a forum about using Ohm's and Kirchhoff's laws to solve a complex system of equations. The student also expresses concern about the difficulty of electrical engineering problems at this early stage.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Right now I am at the very beginning of what I am sure will be a very long process of getting my Electrical Engineering Degree. I am currently taking math 1010 online, and it is currently asking this question.

After completing all the tasks required for this module on Systems of Linear Equations, Inequalities, and Problem Solving do the following:

Think of your chosen field (or if you have not yet chosen a major, pick a field you are interested in). Find an application that would involve the algebraic skills learned in this module. Post the application as well as the solution.

You may find the application anywhere you'd like (books, Internet, person in field etc.)

So, I am hoping to ask a person in the field of Electrical Engineering. It seems that most EE problems are much more advanced mathematically than simple Linear Equations.

If anyone can offer their input I would be greatly appreciative.

Homework Equations

A similar equation is the "A Train left a station doing such and such," but I don't want to use that, as everyone else in the class is doing some variation of it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Asking here...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's not a good idea to pick a problem from EE problems. Because most of it are boring.

Actually, I think most of them are too difficult for me to comprehend at this early stage...

I ended up creating a function for draining and refilling a swimming pool. (like that isn't boring)

Ok, take this example

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376316

Two important things you should know
1-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law"
7564ef88e7c926febabebd837d9f744a.png

2-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff%27s_circuit_laws"

Using Ohm's and Kirchhoff's Current Laws, you will end up with a system of four equations and four unknowns.

Also,you can modifies the question so that you have complex numbers in the four equations.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can definitely understand your concerns about the level of mathematical complexity in the field of Electrical Engineering. However, even though most problems in EE may involve more advanced math, it is still important to have a strong foundation in basic algebraic skills. These skills will come in handy in many real-world applications, such as circuit analysis and design, signal processing, and control systems.

One specific application that comes to mind is the analysis of electrical circuits using Kirchhoff's laws. These laws, which govern the behavior of electric currents and voltages in a circuit, can be expressed as a set of linear equations. By using the algebraic skills learned in this module, you can easily solve these equations and determine the values of currents and voltages at different points in the circuit.

For example, let's say you are designing a circuit for a lighting system in a building. You need to determine the optimal resistance value for a resistor in the circuit in order to achieve the desired brightness for the lights. By setting up a system of linear equations based on Kirchhoff's laws, you can solve for the unknown resistance value and ensure that your lighting system works efficiently and effectively.

In terms of a solution, it would involve setting up the appropriate equations and then using techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variables. This is a simple but important application of algebraic skills in the field of Electrical Engineering.

I hope this helps to illustrate the relevance of algebra in EE and how it can be applied in real-world scenarios. Good luck with your studies!

What is Simple Algebraic Solution?

Simple Algebraic Solution is a method of solving algebraic equations that involves using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to find the value of an unknown variable.

How does Simple Algebraic Solution work?

In Simple Algebraic Solution, you start by isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side by performing the necessary operations. This allows you to eventually solve for the unknown variable and find its value.

When is Simple Algebraic Solution used?

Simple Algebraic Solution is commonly used in mathematics and science to solve equations and find the value of unknown variables. It is also used in everyday life, such as calculating expenses or determining the amount of ingredients needed for a recipe.

What are the advantages of using Simple Algebraic Solution?

Simple Algebraic Solution is a straightforward and efficient method for solving equations. It allows for a step-by-step approach that is easy to follow and can be applied to a variety of equations and problems.

Are there any limitations to Simple Algebraic Solution?

Simple Algebraic Solution may not work for more complex equations that involve higher degrees of variables or multiple variables. In these cases, other methods such as quadratic formula or systems of equations may be necessary.