Simple collision between two moving bodies.

In summary, when two bodies interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other according to Newton's third law. In the case of a truck and car colliding in one dimension with the same velocity, there are four forces involved, with each vehicle exerting its own force on the other. The reaction force of the truck on the car and vice versa is also accounted for. However, there may be confusion in treating each body's forces as if they were slamming into a wall, as the velocity of the vehicle makes the situation different.
whammer
Truck and car collide in one dimension. Assume same velocity. I see this as having 4 forces, two on each body.

Each vehicle exerts its own force on the other. The truck exerts a force on car and vice versa. In addition, the truck's exertion of force on the car is reacted to via Newton's third law. and the car's exertion of force on the truck is reacted to via Newton's third law.

Taking the car individually, it has the force from the truck acting on it. Plus it has the reaction force from having acted upon the truck.

I suspect that my logic is flawed but I cannot see why. Should I treat each body's forces as though it slammed into a wall? You slam into the wall, exerting a force on it, whereupon the wall returns the favour. It just seems different to me. The vehicle has velocity whereas a wall does not.

Confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi whammer, welcome to PF.

When two bodies A and B interact, moving or not moving, A exerts a force FAB to B, and B exerts the force FBA to A. The forces are of equal magnitude and opposite direction. So there is only one force acting on a body. The reaction force a body exerts acts on the other body, not on itself.

ehild
whammer said:
Truck and car collide in one dimension. Assume same velocity. I see this as having 4 forces, two on each body.

Each vehicle exerts its own force on the other. The truck exerts a force on car and vice versa. In addition, the truck's exertion of force on the car is reacted to via Newton's third law. and the car's exertion of force on the truck is reacted to via Newton's third law.

Taking the car individually, it has the force from the truck acting on it. Plus it has the reaction force from having acted upon the truck.

I suspect that my logic is flawed but I cannot see why. Should I treat each body's forces as though it slammed into a wall? You slam into the wall, exerting a force on it, whereupon the wall returns the favour. It just seems different to me. The vehicle has velocity whereas a wall does not.

Confused

FAQ: Simple collision between two moving bodies.

1. What is a simple collision between two moving bodies?

A simple collision between two moving bodies is a physical interaction in which two objects collide with each other and exchange energy and momentum. It can occur between any two objects, such as a car hitting a wall, two balls colliding, or two particles colliding in outer space.

2. What factors determine the outcome of a collision between two moving bodies?

The outcome of a collision between two moving bodies is determined by several factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the objects, as well as the elasticity and shape of the objects involved. These factors can affect the amount of energy and momentum exchanged during the collision.

3. How is the conservation of momentum applied in a simple collision between two moving bodies?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. In a simple collision between two moving bodies, the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, regardless of any changes in velocity or direction.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, and is not conserved. This usually results in a change in the objects' velocities after the collision.

5. Can the outcome of a collision between two moving bodies be predicted?

The outcome of a collision between two moving bodies can be predicted to some extent by using the laws of physics and mathematical equations. However, there are many variables and factors involved in a collision, making it difficult to predict the exact outcome. Factors such as external forces, surface friction, and deformations can also affect the outcome of a collision.