Simple Convergence: Does \sum\sin(x^n) Converge?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the series \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\sin \left( {x^n } \right)} for all x \in \left( -1 , 1 \right), with the conclusion that it converges absolutely. The conversation then moves on to a similar question involving a larger problem and discusses how to prove or disprove certain statements related to it. The conversation ends with a discussion about the limit of x_n, which is found to be equal to 1 despite some contradictory evidence.
bomba923
Just out of curiosity, does
[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\sin \left( {x^n } \right)} [/tex]
converge [itex]\forall x \in \left( -1 , 1 \right)[/itex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would be tempted to say yes, because of the inequality |sin(x)|<|x|, which implies |sin(x^n)|<|x^n|, which implies

[tex]\sum^m|\sin(x^n)|\leq \sum^m|x^n|[/tex]

But for -1<x<1, the sum on the right is geometric, which converges. So the sine series converges absolutely.

can you please tell me how i can prove that |sin(x)| < |x|?

Strictly speaking, it's not true- sin(x)= x when x= 0!

At x=0 sin(0)= 0. Let f(x)= x- sin(x). Then f'(x)= 1- cos(x) which is always greater than or equal to 0. That is, x- sin(x) is an increasing function. For any x> 0 x> sin(x). For x< 0 use the fact that both x and sin(x) are odd functions: if x is negative, then -x is positive and so -x> sin(-x)= -sin(x). But x is negative and (for [itex]0> x> -\pi[/itex]) so is sin(x). |sin(x)|= -x> |sin(x)|= -sin(x). For |x|> 1, it is obvious that |x|> |sin(x)|.

quasar987 said:
I would be tempted to say yes, because of the inequality |sin(x)|<|x|, which implies |sin(x^n)|<|x^n|, which implies

[tex]\sum^m|\sin(x^n)|\leq \sum^m|x^n|[/tex]

But for -1<x<1, the sum on the right is geometric, which converges. So the sine series converges absolutely.
I see, thank you :smile:

A similar question (but like the previous, related to a larger problem):
[tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N},{\text{ does }}\exists x > 1:\frac{1}
{n}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} \leqslant \sin 1{\text{ ?}}[/tex]

In particular, I'm looking at the function
[tex]f_n \left( x \right) = \frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} [/tex]

where
[tex]\forall n \geqslant 1,\; - 1 \leqslant f_n \left( x \right) \leqslant 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\forall x \in \left[ 0,1 \right], \; \frac{{df_n }}{{dx}} > 0 [/tex]

From inspection at n=2,3,..., up to n=25 (my graphing program's constraints!),
the first critical point (i.e., dfn(x)/dx=0) that fn(x) approaches (for positive x) is always a maximum at some x>1

Furthermore, if we let xn be the x-value of this maximum for fn(x)
(i.e., the smallest x>0 such that dfn(x)/dx=0), then we notice
[tex]x_2 > \cdots > x_n > 1[/tex]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*But, what is
[tex] \lim \limits_{n \to \infty } x_n \; ? [/tex]

Clearly, [itex] \lim \limits_{n \to \infty } x_n \ne 1 [/itex], since
[tex]f'_n \left( 1 \right) = \left( {\cos 1 + 2\cos 1 + 3\cos 1 + \cdots } \right)/n > 0[/tex]

Also, since
[tex]\frac{{df_n }}{{dx}} = \frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {kx^{k - 1} \cos \left( {x^k } \right)} [/tex]

my question is simply
[tex]{\text{What is the smallest }}x > 0\;{\text{such that }}\frac{d}
{{dx}}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^{\infty} {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} = 0\;? [/tex]

Last edited:
No replies? :redface:
bomba923 said:
A similar question (but like the previous, related to a larger problem):
[tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N},{\text{ does }}\exists x > 1:\frac{1}
{n}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} \leqslant \sin 1{\text{ ?}}[/tex]
In particular, before asking
[tex]\text{What is } \lim \limits_{n \to \infty } x_n ?[/tex]

someone might ask
[tex]{\text{How do we know if }}\forall n \in \mathbb{N},\;\exists x_n > 1: f_n {\kern 1pt} ' \left( {x_n } \right) = 0\;?[/tex]

which means I must
[tex]{\text{Prove/disprove that }}\forall n \in \mathbb{N},\;\exists x_n > 1:\frac{d}{{dx}}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x_n^k } \right)} = 0[/tex]

or, equivalently (due to Mean & Intermediate Value Theorems),
[tex]{\text{Prove/disprove that }}\forall n \in \mathbb{N},\;\exists x > 1: \frac{1}{n} \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} \leqslant \sin 1[/tex]

(I tried induction, but showing n[itex]\to[/itex]n+1 wasn't quite as easy as I hoped...)

*So, does anyone have any ideas how I may prove (or disprove :rolleyes:) that
[tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N},\;\exists x > 1: \frac{1}{n} \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( x^k \right)} \leqslant \sin 1[/tex]
?

Same as before,
[tex]\begin{gathered}
f_n \left( x \right) = \frac{1}
{n}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} \Rightarrow f'_n \left( x \right) = \frac{1}
{n}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {kx^{k - 1} \cos \left( {x^k } \right)} \hfill \\
x_n = \min \left\{ {x > 0:f'_n \left( x \right) = 0} \right\} = \min \left\{ {x > 0:\frac{d}
{{dx}}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\sin \left( {x^k } \right)} = 0} \right\} \hfill \\ \end{gathered} [/tex]

From inspection, it appears that
[tex]\frac{d}{{dx}}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^{n + 1} {\sin \left( {x_n^k } \right)} < 0[/tex]

though...
[tex]\begin{gathered}
\cos x_n + 2x_n \cos x_n^2 + 3x_n^2 \cos x_n^3 + \cdots + nx_n^{n - 1} \cos x_n^n = 0 \Rightarrow \hfill \\
\cos x_n + 2x_n \cos x_n^2 + 3x_n^2 \cos x_n^3 + \cdots + \left( {n + 1} \right)x_n^n \cos x_n^{n + 1} < 0 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

~or equivalently,
[tex]\begin{gathered}
\cos x_n + 2x_n \cos x_n^2 + 3x_n^2 \cos x_n^3 + \cdots + nx_n^{n - 1} \cos x_n^n = 0 \Rightarrow \hfill \\
\cos x_n + 2x_n \cos x_n^2 + 3x_n^2 \cos x_n^3 + \cdots + nx_n^{n - 1} \cos x_n^n + \left( {n + 1} \right)x_n^n \cos x_n^{n + 1} < 0 \hfill \\ \end{gathered} [/tex]

implies (as π/2=x1>x2>...)
[tex]\left( {n + 1} \right)x_n^n \cos x_n^{n + 1} < 0 \Rightarrow \cos x_n^{n + 1} < 0 \Rightarrow \sqrt[{n + 1}]{{\pi /2}} < x_n < \sqrt[{n + 1}]{{3\pi /2}}[/tex]

which, by the Squeeze Theorem, implies
[tex]\lim \limits_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[{n + 1}]{{\pi /2}} < \lim \limits_{n \to \infty } x_n < \lim \limits_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[{n + 1}]{{3\pi /2}} \Rightarrow \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } x_n = 1[/tex]

*Which is strange, considering that
[tex]\begin{gathered}
\forall n \in \mathbb{N},\;f'_n \left( x \right) > 0\;{\text{for }}0 \leqslant x \leqslant 1,\;{\text{and}} \hfill \\
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } f'_n \left( 1 \right) = \frac{{\cos 1 + 2\cos 1 + 3\cos 1 + \cdots + n\cos 1}}
{n} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{{n + 1}}
{2}\cos 1,\;{\text{which diverges}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of convergence in mathematics?

In mathematics, convergence refers to the idea that a sequence or series of numbers approaches a specific value or limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, as the terms continue to increase, the value of the sequence or series gets closer and closer to a particular number.

2. What is a simple convergence?

Simple convergence refers to the convergence of a series or sequence of numbers without any additional conditions or restrictions. In other words, the series or sequence must satisfy the basic definition of convergence without any additional factors.

3. Does the series \sum\sin(x^n) converge?

The series \sum\sin(x^n) does not converge in general. However, there are certain values of x for which the series converges, such as x = 0, 1, and -1. For other values of x, the series may oscillate or diverge.

4. How can we determine if the series \sum\sin(x^n) converges?

To determine if the series \sum\sin(x^n) converges, we can use various convergence tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These tests can help us determine the convergence or divergence of the series based on the behavior of the terms in the series.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple convergence?

Simple convergence has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used to analyze the behavior of electric circuits, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It is also used in financial mathematics to calculate the value of investments over time.