Simple differentiation question

In summary, the conversation is about isolating an expression for \frac{dx}{dt} from given expressions for \frac{dxy}{dt} and \frac{dy}{dt}. The person asking the question has tried using the product rule but it did not work. The other person suggests using the equation \frac{d(xy)}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt}y+x\frac{dy}{dt} and solving for \frac{dx}{dt}. The conversation ends with the person admitting their code is wrong and thanking the other person for their help.
Timeforheroes0
Hey guys,
Just a simple question to see if I'm going insane. So say I have an expression for:
[tex]\frac{dxy}{dt} [/tex] and an expression for [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex], how to I go about isolating an expression for just [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]
I have tried using the product rule but it doesn't work for what I want. I know this is a very simple question but I haven't done calculus in a long time!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]
\frac{d(xy)}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt}y+x\frac{dy}{dt}\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{1}{y}(\frac{d(xy)}{dt}-x\frac{dy}{dt})
[/itex]

Likes cosmictide
Yeah that's what I did.. I'm doing this in an ode solver in MATLAB so obviously my code is wrong elsewhere.
thanks!

What is simple differentiation?

Simple differentiation is a mathematical concept where we find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. This is commonly used in calculus to analyze the behavior of functions.

How do I differentiate a simple function?

To differentiate a simple function, you need to use the derivative formula. For a function f(x), its derivative is given by f'(x) = lim(h→0) [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. This means you need to find the limit of the difference quotient as h approaches 0.

What is the purpose of differentiation?

Differentiation allows us to understand the behavior of a function by determining its rate of change at any given point. It helps us analyze the slope, concavity, and extrema of a function, which are important in many real-life applications.

Can I differentiate any function?

Yes, you can differentiate any function as long as it is continuous and differentiable. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to differentiate.

What are some real-life applications of differentiation?

Differentiation is used in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It helps us analyze the velocity, acceleration, and displacement of moving objects, optimize functions in economics, and determine the slope of a curve in engineering designs.