Simple Diode Problem: Solving for Unknown Voltages using KCL and KVL

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of KCL/KVL and other methods such as mesh current and node voltage to solve problems involving diodes and resistors. Specifically, the conversation focuses on determining the voltage at a specific node in a circuit where one of the arms has no resistance. The suggested approach is to assume that one of the diodes is conducting and use the resulting current and voltage drops to check the validity of the solution.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4475/q12r.png

Homework Equations

KCL/KVL

Mesh current, node voltage

ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

for b)
I understand how diodes work, and i'v deduced that diode 2 is definitely not conducting as the voltage on it's anode is 0, and the voltage on it's cathode MUST be higher than 0.

To find weather diode 1 is off or not, i need to figure out the voltage at the node where the 12v and 16v lines meet. I tried using KVL, however the path to the 12 volt source has no resistance, and therefore results in me dividing by 0.

KCL can't be used as there's no useful closed loops in this.

Could anyone give me an idea on how to determine the voltage at that node?

I have similar problems with part a), I need to find the voltage of the node on the left, but one of it's arms have no resistance so i can't use node voltage or KCL. there is really not loops to use KVL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by assuming that D1 is conducting. If D1 is conducting then you immediately know the voltage across R2 since the voltage across an ideal diode is constant. From there you can calculate the current in each node. If D1 is not conducting, then the resulting currents and voltage drops will not obey KCL/KVL and you'll know something is wrong.

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It has two terminals, an anode (positive) and a cathode (negative), and is typically made of semiconductor materials.

2. How does a diode work?

A diode works by utilizing the principle of "forward biasing" to allow current to flow in the direction of the anode to the cathode. When a positive voltage is applied to the anode and a negative voltage to the cathode, the diode conducts electricity. However, when the polarity is reversed, the diode acts as an insulator and does not allow current to flow.

3. What is the purpose of a diode?

The main purpose of a diode is to act as a one-way valve for electrical current. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC), and to protect sensitive components from reverse voltage or current spikes.

4. What are some common applications of diodes?

Diodes have a wide range of applications in electronic devices, including power supplies, rectifiers, voltage regulators, and signal processing circuits. They are also used in communication systems, such as radios and televisions, and in various sensor and control circuits.

5. Can a diode be used to amplify signals?

No, a diode is not designed to amplify signals. It only allows current to flow in one direction, and cannot increase the strength or amplitude of a signal. For amplification purposes, other components such as transistors or operational amplifiers are used.