Simple Divergence related problem

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the vector function $\vec{v}=\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}$ has a divergence of zero, except at r=0 where it is undefined. This means that for every annulus around r=0, the divergence is 0. However, when using a clever representation with the Dirac Delta function, the special case can still be in accordance with Gauss' theorem, where the surface integral around r=0 equals 4*pi. This will be further explored in later sections of the book.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Sketch the vector function
$$\vec{v}=\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}$$
and compute its divergence. The answer may surprise you...can you explain it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have recently started with Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J Griffiths and according to the book notation,
$$\hat{r}=\frac{\vec{r}}{r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}$$

I have calculated the divergence to be zero. The problem is how do I draw the vector function? I mean the book shows a few drawings of vector functions but they all are in 2-D. I have three variables, x,y and z. How do I sketch the function in this case?

And what is special about the result?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the divergence is zero, wherever it is DEFINED in a normal manner.
That is everywhere, execept at r=0.

To interpret it for regions about r=0, it means that for every annulus about r=0, the divergence is 0.
------------------------
The really interesting feature is, of course, when you make a surface integral around a volume (containing no holes) containing r=0.

Your result will be [itex]4\pi[/itex]

This motivates to represent the divergence as [tex]div(\vec{v})=4\pi\delta(\vec{r})[/tex], where we use the Dirac Delta function.

By using this, we have in a clever manner formally achieved to regard this special case as ALSO being in accordance with Gauss' theorem:
[tex]\int_{V}(div(\vec{v})dV=\int_{S}\vec{v}\cdot{d\vec{S}}[/tex]

(Note that Gauss' theorem is typically derived for functions DEFINED on the whole volume (otherwise, how can you integrate it over the volume?), so there is no a priori contradiction between Gauss' theorem in that the divergence is zero, yet a surface integral around r=0 equals 4*pi. For example, for every region on which the vector is defined, say an annulus about r=0, Gauss' theorem is trivially valid, since the surface integral for such regions reduces to [itex]4\pi-4\pi=0[/itex])

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
arildno said:
The really interesting feature is, of course, when you make a surface integral around a volume (containing no holes) containing r=0.

Your result will be [itex]4\pi[/itex]

This motivates to represent the divergence as [tex]div(\vec{v})=4\pi\delta(\vec{r})[/tex], where we use the Dirac Delta function.

By using this, we have in a clever manner formally achieved to regard this special case as ALSO being in accordance with Gauss' theorem:
[tex]\int_{V}(div(\vec{v})dV=\int_{S}\vec{v}\cdot{d\vec{S}}[/tex]

(Note that Gauss' theorem is typically derived for functions DEFINED on the whole volume (otherwise, how can you integrate it over the volume?), so there is no a priori contradiction between Gauss' theorem in that the divergence is zero, yet a surface integral around r=0 equals 4*pi. For example, for every region on which the vector is defined, say an annulus about r=0, Gauss' theorem is trivially valid, since the surface integral for such regions reduces to [itex]4\pi-4\pi=0[/itex])

Thanks arildno for the effort you have put here. I will return to this thread when the book introduces the surface integrals and the dirac delta function. The problem I posted is an intext question just after the divergence section in the book and much of what you wrote is introduced later in the chapter.

Thanks! :)

1. What is simple divergence related problem?

Simple divergence related problem is a type of problem in mathematics that involves finding the divergence of a vector field. Divergence is a measure of the flow of a vector field out of a given point. It is represented by the dot product of the vector field with the del operator.

2. What is the formula for calculating divergence?

The formula for calculating divergence is div F = ∇ · F, where F is the vector field and ∇ is the del operator. This formula can also be written in terms of partial derivatives as div F = ∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂y + ∂F/∂z.

3. What is the physical significance of divergence?

The physical significance of divergence is that it represents the net rate of change of a vector field at a given point. It can be thought of as a measure of how much a vector field is spreading out or converging at a point. Positive divergence indicates an outward flow, while negative divergence indicates an inward flow.

4. How is simple divergence related problem used in real life?

Simple divergence related problem has many applications in science and engineering. It is used to study fluid flow, such as in weather forecasting and aerodynamics. It is also used in electromagnetism to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, it has applications in economics, biology, and other fields.

5. What are some common techniques for solving simple divergence related problems?

Some common techniques for solving simple divergence related problems include using the divergence formula, using the properties of the del operator, and applying the divergence theorem. Other techniques include using vector calculus identities, using Green's theorem, and using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.