Simple Divergence related problem

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Sketch the vector function
$$\vec{v}=\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}$$
and compute its divergence. The answer may surprise you...can you explain it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have recently started with Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J Griffiths and according to the book notation,
$$\hat{r}=\frac{\vec{r}}{r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}$$

I have calculated the divergence to be zero. The problem is how do I draw the vector function? I mean the book shows a few drawings of vector functions but they all are in 2-D. I have three variables, x,y and z. How do I sketch the function in this case?

And what is special about the result?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Remember that the divergence is zero, wherever it is DEFINED in a normal manner.
That is everywhere, execept at r=0.

To interpret it for regions about r=0, it means that for every annulus about r=0, the divergence is 0.
------------------------
The really interesting feature is, of course, when you make a surface integral around a volume (containing no holes) containing r=0.

Your result will be [itex]4\pi[/itex]

This motivates to represent the divergence as [tex]div(\vec{v})=4\pi\delta(\vec{r})[/tex], where we use the Dirac Delta function.

By using this, we have in a clever manner formally achieved to regard this special case as ALSO being in accordance with Gauss' theorem:
[tex]\int_{V}(div(\vec{v})dV=\int_{S}\vec{v}\cdot{d\vec{S}}[/tex]

(Note that Gauss' theorem is typically derived for functions DEFINED on the whole volume (otherwise, how can you integrate it over the volume?), so there is no a priori contradiction between Gauss' theorem in that the divergence is zero, yet a surface integral around r=0 equals 4*pi. For example, for every region on which the vector is defined, say an annulus about r=0, Gauss' theorem is trivially valid, since the surface integral for such regions reduces to [itex]4\pi-4\pi=0[/itex])

Last edited:
The really interesting feature is, of course, when you make a surface integral around a volume (containing no holes) containing r=0.

Your result will be [itex]4\pi[/itex]

This motivates to represent the divergence as [tex]div(\vec{v})=4\pi\delta(\vec{r})[/tex], where we use the Dirac Delta function.

By using this, we have in a clever manner formally achieved to regard this special case as ALSO being in accordance with Gauss' theorem:
[tex]\int_{V}(div(\vec{v})dV=\int_{S}\vec{v}\cdot{d\vec{S}}[/tex]

(Note that Gauss' theorem is typically derived for functions DEFINED on the whole volume (otherwise, how can you integrate it over the volume?), so there is no a priori contradiction between Gauss' theorem in that the divergence is zero, yet a surface integral around r=0 equals 4*pi. For example, for every region on which the vector is defined, say an annulus about r=0, Gauss' theorem is trivially valid, since the surface integral for such regions reduces to [itex]4\pi-4\pi=0[/itex])

Thanks arildno for the effort you have put here. I will return to this thread when the book introduces the surface integrals and the dirac delta function. The problem I posted is an intext question just after the divergence section in the book and much of what you wrote is introduced later in the chapter.

Thanks! :)