Convergence and Sum of Geometric Series - Homework Question

In summary, the conversation discusses two related questions about determining whether a given geometric series is convergent or divergent and finding its sum if it is convergent. The first question involves evaluating the series with a formula provided, while the second involves finding the ratio r in order to use the formula. The conversation also includes a clarification about the meaning of the sigma and infinity symbols in the questions.
fball558

Homework Statement

actually got two questions but both are related so put them in the same place
the question asks
Determine whether the geometric series is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, find its sum.
Inf
1.) E 6(0.9)^(n-1)
n=1

Inf (-3)^(n-1)
2.) E ---------------
n=1 4^(n)

the (E) is the sigma sign asking for sum
the Inf is infinity and n = 1 is inital starting point
they want us to evaluate the series sum from 1 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure where to start. i can figure out the converging or diverging part just plug in some numbers and see if it is getting bigger (going to infinity) or if it leavels off.
not sure how to find the sum.
probaly just a simple formula but the Professor did not give it to us.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry the format was lost when posted
the second problem is a division problem the -3 part on top
and the 4^n on bottom that is why the lines are there.

ok that would make it a lot easier
but how do you find "r" the ratio?
for example number two a(1) = 1/4
a(2) = -3/16 and a(3) = 9/64
dont know what you would do to 1/4 to get -3/16 and you have to do that same thing to -3/16 to get 9/64 right??

You are looking for a number r such that a(1)*r=a(2), and since the series is geometric, you will also have a(2)*r=a(3) for the same r. So what is r?

man I am dumb lol i solve the first on the wrong way. got -4/3 and then -3/4 for the second that is where i messed up.
so my r would be -3/4
thanks now i can just follow the formula

1. What is a simple geometric series?

A simple geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. For example, the series 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ... is a simple geometric series with a common ratio of 2.

2. How do you find the sum of a simple geometric series?

The sum of a simple geometric series can be found using the formula S = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. Alternatively, you can also use the formula S = a(1-r)/(1-r) to find the sum of an infinite geometric series.

3. What is the common ratio in a simple geometric series?

The common ratio in a simple geometric series is the number that is multiplied by each term to get the next term. It is denoted by the letter r and is a constant number throughout the series.

4. Can a simple geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a simple geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This will result in the series alternating between positive and negative terms. For example, the series 1, -2, 4, -8, 16, ... has a common ratio of -2.

5. What is the difference between a simple geometric series and a geometric sequence?

A simple geometric series is a sum of terms in a sequence, while a geometric sequence is just the individual terms in the series. A geometric sequence can be thought of as the building blocks of a geometric series.