How Does Humidifying Process Affect Air Temperature and Humidity?

• Thread starter BenjineerM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, the given problem involves a simple humidifying process in which atmospheric air is humidified to 60% relative humidity by adding saturated steam. The final temperature of the air can be determined by using the psychrometric chart and the equations for mass flow rate and enthalpy. The final temperature can be found by calculating the total heat added by the steam and using it to solve for the final temperature using the specific heat of air.
BenjineerM

Homework Statement

Consider Simple humidifying process. Atmospheric air enter at a volume flow rate of 3000 m3/h at 25°C and 10% relative humidity (A). Then is humidified to 60% relative humidity (B) by adding saturated steam at atmospheric pressure. The density of atmospheric air is 1.18 kg/m3

Homework Equations

a) Plot the whole process on psychometric chart?
b) What is the final temperature of air?
c)What is mass flow rate of water added
d) What is the total heat added by the steam

The Attempt at a Solution

I have plotted the humidifying process on the psychometric chart by following the vertical line which corresponds to 25°c. Using the vertical line, I marked the points where 10% & 60% relative humidity intersect the line, then from the points I drew a diagonal line to obtain moisture content. (A) = 0.002
(B) = 0.0125

Using Mw = V * ρ (B - A) =

Mw being the mass of water added
V = 3000 m3/h
ρ = 1.18 kg/m3
A = 0.002
B = 0.0125

=3000/3600 x 1.184(0.0125 - 0.002) = 0.01036 kg/s = 37.8296 kg/h

I know that heat is being added to the the air, by the steam but the photometric chart plot does not show any change in in the final temperature. How can I find the final temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the final temperature, we can use the psychrometric chart to determine the enthalpy of the air at points A and B, and then use the equation Q = m * (hB - hA) to calculate the total heat added by the steam. We can then use the enthalpy at point B and the mass flow rate of air to calculate the final temperature using the equation hB = m * Cp * (Tf - Ta), where Cp is the specific heat of air.

1. What is a simple humidifying process?

A simple humidifying process involves increasing the moisture content in the air to achieve a higher level of humidity. This can be done through various methods such as using a humidifier, adding water to a room, or using natural methods like steam from hot water.

2. Why is humidification important?

Humidification is important for maintaining a comfortable and healthy environment. Dry air can cause discomfort, irritate respiratory conditions, and damage wooden furniture and instruments. Proper humidity levels can also help prevent the spread of viruses and bacteria.

3. What are the benefits of a simple humidifying process?

The benefits of a simple humidifying process include improved air quality, relief from dry skin and respiratory issues, and preservation of household items. Humidity can also help with sleep, reduce static electricity, and make the air feel warmer during colder months.

4. How do I know if I need to humidify my home?

You may need to humidify your home if you experience symptoms such as dry skin, throat irritation, or allergies. You can also use a hygrometer to measure the humidity levels in your home - ideally, it should be between 30-50%. If it is below this range, humidification may be necessary.

5. Is a simple humidifying process safe for children and pets?

Yes, a simple humidifying process is generally safe for children and pets. However, it is important to properly maintain and clean your humidifier to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria. Also, make sure to use distilled or filtered water to avoid releasing any harmful minerals into the air.