Simple Interest Calculator for a 5% Rate - Help with Homework Statement

• Thread starter lil.l3b91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
I thought the original problem was asking to find the interest rate based on the given maturity value and time period. I'm not sure why I thought that. Whoops!In summary, Karl invested $P in a short-term fund with a simple interest rate of 5% per annum. After 300 days, the investment had a maturity value of $29,152.08. Using the formula A = P(1 + rt), we can find the principal amount invested to be $28,000 and the interest earned during the period to be $1,152.08, rounded to the nearest cent.
lil.l3b91

Homework Statement

Karl invested his savings in a short-term fund that was offering a simple interest rate of 5% p.a. The maturity value of the investment at the end of 300 days was $29,152.08.
a. Calculate the principal amount invested.

Round to the nearest cent
b. Calculate the interest earned during the period.

Homework Equations

p=I/rt
I=prt

The Attempt at a Solution

p=s(1+rt)
p=29,152.08(1+0.05*300/365)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lil.l3b91 said:

Homework Statement

Karl invested his savings in a short-term fund that was offering a simple interest rate of 5% p.a. The maturity value of the investment at the end of 300 days was $29,152.08.
a. Calculate the principal amount invested.

b. Calculate the interest earned during the period.

Homework Equations

p=I/rt
I=prt

The Attempt at a Solution

p=s(1+rt)
p=29,152.08(1+0.05*300/365)[/B]
No.
The $29,152.08 is the amount at the end of the term, not the original investment amount.
You are missing an important relevant equation: A = P(1 + rt).
A is the amount that includes interest, and P is the amount that is invested at the beginning.

Shouldn't there be an exponential there somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
No.
The $29,152.08 is the amount at the end of the term, not the original investment amount.
A is the amount that includes interest, and P is the amount that is invested at the beginning.

No: it is simple, not compound interest.

Mark44 said:

Ray Vickson said:
No: it is simple, not compound interest.
The formula I wrote (above) is for simple interest.

Mark44 said:
The formula I wrote (above) is for simple interest.

Sorry: I thought I was replying to WWGD in Post #3, but somehow the system linked me to the wrong message.

Ray Vickson said:
Sorry: I thought I was replying to WWGD in Post #3, but somehow the system linked me to the wrong message.
I suspected that was the case.

Yes, my bad, I misread.

1. What is simple interest?

Simple interest is a type of interest that is calculated as a percentage of the principal amount. It is a fixed rate of interest that is charged on the original amount borrowed or invested.

2. How is simple interest calculated?

To calculate simple interest, you multiply the principal amount by the interest rate and the number of time periods. The formula is: Interest = (Principal * Interest Rate * Time) / 100.

3. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

The main difference between simple interest and compound interest is that simple interest is calculated only on the principal amount, while compound interest is calculated on the principal amount as well as the accumulated interest from previous periods.

4. How can simple interest help with financial planning?

Simple interest can help with financial planning as it allows individuals to easily calculate the amount of interest they will owe or earn on a loan or investment. This information can then be used to make informed decisions about borrowing or investing money.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using simple interest?

One disadvantage of simple interest is that it does not take into account the effects of inflation, which can decrease the value of money over time. Additionally, simple interest may not be as profitable as compound interest in the long run as it does not allow for the compounding of interest over time.