Exploring the Limit of Infinity over its Square Root: A Simple Homework Question

• Thread starter Schniz2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of infinity, specifically in the context of limits. The first part discussed the limit of infinity over the square root of infinity, which was deemed to be a meaningless expression. The second part delved into the concept of infinity minus infinity as an indeterminate form and provided examples to illustrate this concept. The final part of the conversation focused on estimating the limit of a transfer function in decibels as omega approaches infinity and zero. A suggestion was made to define a new variable in order to simplify the expression and make it easier to calculate the limit.
Schniz2

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{\infty}{\sqrt{\infty}}[/tex]

I would have said it would be infinity because infinity would grow a lot faster than its square root wouldn't it?
But my friend swears the limit is equal to 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Was it something like lim x -> infinity of x/x^(1/2)? What you have isn't a limit...

is a meaningless expression anyhow.

Do you mean you and your friend were debating whether
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
does not exist, or it exists and is equal to 1 ?

Schniz2 said:

Homework Statement

I would have said it would be infinity because infinity would grow a lot faster than its square root wouldn't it?
But my friend swears the limit is equal to 1?

That's not quite a limit as expressed just yet. Try:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} ( \frac{n}{\sqrt{n}} )[/tex]

When it is actually expressed as a limit, then it may be clearer.

Cheers -- sylas

Infinity over infinity is not defined as a number. It is considered an indeterminant form.

Here is an informal example: What is Infinity minus infinity? Consider the set of positive integers, {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...}
There are infinitely many "objects" in this set. Now, let us take away an infinite number of objects and count what is left.
Remove 1, 2, 3, 4, ... What is left? Nothing. So Infinity minus infinity = 0.
BUT WAIT!
Remove 2, 3, 4, 5, ... What is left? {1}. One thing is still left. So Infinity minus infinity = 1.
BUT WAIT!
Remove all the even numbers, 2, 4, 6, 8, ... What is left? {1, 3, 5, 7, ...} An infinite number, so Infinity minus infinity = infinity!?

Infinity minus infinity is left undefined, it is an indeterminant form, a concept of two competing forces, one increasing without bound and a counter force removing (or decresing the value) without bound. You need to look closer at the 2 forces to see if you can say anything more.

For example as x -> inf, (x - x/3) -> ? It looks like "inf - inf", they are competing forces. x going up, -x/3 trying to bring it back down. We need to look closer. One way is to simplify the expression x - x/3 = 2x/3 now we see 2x/3 keeps increasing.
So, as x -> inf, (x - x/2) -> inf

With division we see the same process. For example, as x -> inf, where does x/x go?
It looks like inf/inf. But, simplifying we get x/x = 1. So as x->inf, x/x -> 1.

On the contrary, as x-> inf, x^2/x -> goes where? inf/inf? But look closer, x^2/x = x, so
as x -> inf, x^2/x -> inf

To answer your question, i would need to see where the inf/squareroot(inf) form is coming from. Try simplifying the expression, that sometimes works as in the above examples.

To be more precise, I am trying to to a Bode diagram for a simple circuit. I need to estimate |H(j[tex]\omega[/tex])| in decibels as [tex]\omega[/tex] -> [tex]\infty[/tex] and as [tex]\omega[/tex] -> 0.

The transfer function is |H(j[tex]\omega[/tex])| = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{\left(RCj[tex]\omega[/tex]\right)^{2}}}{\sqrt{\left(RCj\omega\right)^{2}+1}}[/tex]

Schniz2 said:
To be more precise, I am trying to to a Bode diagram for a simple circuit. I need to estimate |H(j[tex]\omega[/tex])| in decibels as [tex]\omega[/tex] -> [tex]\infty[/tex] and as [tex]\omega[/tex] -> 0.

The transfer function is |H(j[tex]\omega[/tex])| = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{\left(RCj[tex]\omega[/tex]\right)^{2}}}{\sqrt{\left(RCj\omega\right)^{2}+1}}[/tex]

Cool, that worked well. And took forever.

|H(jw)| = sqrt((RCjw)^2) / sqrt((RCjw)^2 +1)

i need to estimate this as w -> infinity...

Assuming that [itex]j^2 = -1[/itex], you have
[tex]|H(j \omega)| = \frac{ \sqrt{- R^2 C^2 \omega^2} }{ \sqrt{- R^2 C^2 \omega^2 + 1}}[/tex]

I suggest defining [itex]x = - R^2 C^2 \omega^2[/itex], so you get
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x + 1}} = \sqrt{\frac{x}{x + 1}}[/tex]
and then the limits [itex]\omega \to 0, \infty[/itex] correspond to [itex]x \to 0, -\infty[/itex] respectively.

Note that even in the "informal" notation of your first post, this gives
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{-\infty}{1 - \infty}}[/tex]
and not

Anyhow, there are nicer tricks to calculate the limit (for example, multiply by (-x)/(-x) inside the square root).

CompuChip said:
Assuming that [itex]j^2 = -1[/itex], you have
[tex]|H(j \omega)| = \frac{ \sqrt{- R^2 C^2 \omega^2} }{ \sqrt{- R^2 C^2 \omega^2 + 1}}[/tex]

I suggest defining [itex]x = - R^2 C^2 \omega^2[/itex], so you get
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x + 1}} = \sqrt{\frac{x}{x + 1}}[/tex]
and then the limits [itex]\omega \to 0, \infty[/itex] correspond to [itex]x \to 0, -\infty[/itex] respectively.

Note that even in the "informal" notation of your first post, this gives
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{-\infty}{1 - \infty}}[/tex]
and not

Anyhow, there are nicer tricks to calculate the limit (for example, multiply by (-x)/(-x) inside the square root).

Nice, thanks!

1. What is the limit of infinity over its square root?

The limit of infinity over its square root is equal to infinity. This means that as the number being divided by the square root gets larger, the result will also get larger and approach infinity.

2. How do you solve for the limit of infinity over its square root?

To solve for the limit of infinity over its square root, you can use the L'Hopital's rule or the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and then evaluating the limit as the value approaches infinity.

3. What does the limit of infinity over its square root represent?

The limit of infinity over its square root represents the rate at which a number grows as it approaches infinity. It can also be interpreted as the maximum possible value that the expression can reach.

4. Can the limit of infinity over its square root be negative?

No, the limit of infinity over its square root cannot be negative. Since infinity is always a positive value, dividing by its square root will also result in a positive value. The limit can approach negative infinity, but it cannot be negative itself.

5. How is the limit of infinity over its square root used in real life?

The limit of infinity over its square root is used in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in calculus, physics, and engineering. It can help in understanding the growth rate of certain phenomena and in solving complex equations and problems.