1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Mohr's Circle Question - Axis scales?

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    I'm just wondering about using a Mohr's Circle, do I need to use the same scale for the x and y axes, as surely otherwise my choice of scale greatly impacts the results.

I am using one to get my principle second moment of areas, Ix and Iy, for an equal L section.

Ix and Iy are where the Mohr's circle cross the x axis, but depending on my scale this can vary hugely!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?

Thanks!

Note: This is when the two points on my Mohr's circle have the same value on the x-axis, so when I join them up I have a vertical line.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    I realise this was slightly confusing but this is what I mean:

Here are 2 different Mohr's Circles, that cross the x-axis at different places just based on the scales.

So which is correct?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202012-01-04%20at%2021.48.12.png [Broken]

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202012-01-04%20at%2021.48.44.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jan 4, 2012 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Roomie: The x and y axes should have the same scale. I think neither of your Mohr's circles currently look correct. (1) Put the centre of Mohr's circle at (x, y) = [0.5(Ix + Iy), 0]. (2) Plot point A at (x, y) = (Ix, -Ixy), which is a point on Mohr's circle. (3) Draw the circle passing through point A. (4) Now you can see the points where Mohr's circle crosses the x axis, which are I1 and I2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook