Simple Mohr's Circle Question - Axis scales?

In summary, the question is whether the same scale should be used for the x and y axes in Mohr's Circle. The person is using it to find the principle second moment of areas for an equal L section, where Ix and Iy are where the circle crosses the x axis. However, the location of these points can vary greatly depending on the scale used. The advice given is to make sure the centre of the circle is at (0.5(Ix + Iy), 0), plot point A at (Ix, -Ixy), and draw a circle passing through point A to find the correct location of I1 and I2.
Roomie
I'm just wondering about using a Mohr's Circle, do I need to use the same scale for the x and y axes, as surely otherwise my choice of scale greatly impacts the results.

I am using one to get my principle second moment of areas, Ix and Iy, for an equal L section.

Ix and Iy are where the Mohr's circle cross the x axis, but depending on my scale this can vary hugely!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?

Thanks!

Note: This is when the two points on my Mohr's circle have the same value on the x-axis, so when I join them up I have a vertical line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I realize this was slightly confusing but this is what I mean:

Here are 2 different Mohr's Circles, that cross the x-axis at different places just based on the scales.

So which is correct?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202012-01-04%20at%2021.48.12.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202012-01-04%20at%2021.48.44.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Roomie: The x and y axes should have the same scale. I think neither of your Mohr's circles currently look correct. (1) Put the centre of Mohr's circle at (x, y) = [0.5(Ix + Iy), 0]. (2) Plot point A at (x, y) = (Ix, -Ixy), which is a point on Mohr's circle. (3) Draw the circle passing through point A. (4) Now you can see the points where Mohr's circle crosses the x axis, which are I1 and I2.

1. What is a Mohr's circle and how is it used?

Mohr's circle is a graphical representation of stress and strain in a material. It is used to determine the principal stresses and their orientation, as well as the maximum shear stress at a specific point in a material.

2. How do you draw a Mohr's circle?

To draw a Mohr's circle, you need to first plot the normal stress and shear stress values on a two-dimensional graph, with normal stress on the x-axis and shear stress on the y-axis. Then, you draw a circle with its center at the origin and a radius equal to the largest normal stress value. The intersection of the circle with the x-axis will give the principal stresses, and the tangent line to the circle at this point will give the orientation of the principal stresses.

3. What do the axis scales on a Mohr's circle represent?

The x-axis on a Mohr's circle represents the normal stress, which is the force per unit area acting perpendicular to a surface. The y-axis represents the shear stress, which is the force per unit area acting parallel to a surface. The values on these axes are typically given in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or megapascals (MPa).

4. Can Mohr's circle be used for any type of material?

Yes, Mohr's circle can be used for any type of material, including metals, concrete, and soil. It is a useful tool for understanding the stress and strain behavior of materials under various loading conditions.

5. What is the significance of the points on a Mohr's circle?

The points on a Mohr's circle represent the stress state at a specific point in a material. The center of the circle represents the average stress state, while the points on the circle represent the principal stresses and the maximum shear stress. By analyzing the points on the circle, engineers can determine the stability and failure of a material under different loading conditions.