Does the wavelength change when light passes through glass?

• Thread starter rayjohn01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary: But maybe it is only the frequency of the film that matters, not the frequency of ambient light passing thru.In summary, the conversation discusses the changes in velocity, frequency, and wavelength of light as it travels through different mediums, specifically air and glass. It is determined that the wavelength is what changes when light enters a different medium. The color of objects, as seen by the eye, is determined by the frequency of the light reaching the retina. The conversation also touches on the effects of sandwiching a film between glass and how it can impact the sensitivity to color. These considerations are important in the design of objects and technologies.
rayjohn01
I have a light ray traveling through air at 'c' , it then enters some ordinary glass say mu=1.5 , it slows down by mu. --- no problem.
According to the normal equation v = f . lambda , (velocity , frequency , wavelength) ,
'v' has slowed down from 'c' to 'c' / mu therefore the RHS must change

But what changes ?? 1.5 is a LOT.
if glass is a linear medium there seems no reason for 'f' to change , so it would appear that Lambda must .
when the ray exits the glass it changes back so what we see is what went in.
But what about the eye where the ray strikes the retina do we see an altered lambda different from the air ??
Ray

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
You are correct. What changes is the wavelength. The wavelengths of the light that reaches your retina are those corresponding to the humor vitreous, that fills your eyeballs.

rayjohn01 said:
But what about the eye where the ray strikes the retina do we see an altered lambda different from the air ??

Yes we do. Another fun fact of physics (that, after all has been said, doesn't change much in our daily lives).

yes -- but

You are right Gonz , it is hardly Earth shattering , and probably very old science -- so answer this -- if a ruby Laser enters a diamond then what is the color ( physical sense) of it inside the diamond -- did you think it was ruby ? or what did you think ?
The color of the diamond (as seen ) is due to what ?
If I sandwich a film between glass does it change it's sensitivity to color ?
if so why and if not why.
Does the eye see -- frequency or wavelength - if the first then the ray entering the eye -- if the second the ray in the eye ?
The eye resolution is NOT due to the entering ray -- but the inside ray
which is 34% smaller .
Such questions are not Earth shattereing but actually effect how we design things .
Actually you cannot say so quickly that it is the Vitreous Humor unless the rods and cones are actually embedded in this and indeed any media prior to the destruction of the light wave at atomic absorbsion .

Ray

Last edited:
rayjohn01 said:
You are right Gonz , it is hardly Earth shattering , and probably very old science -- so answer this -- if a ruby Laser enters a diamond then what is the color ( physical sense) of it inside the diamond
-- did you think it was ruby ? or what did you think ?

Our retina cells (and whatever chemical absorption that goes on in there) are affected by photon energy E = hf = hv/lambda, so strictly speaking "colour" is determined by frequency, more than wavelength. So suppose we immersed a "waterproof photodiode detector" in water or alcool, which has n > 1, I believe it would behave as would in air with the Ruby frequency.

rayjohn01 said:
If I sandwich a film between glass does it change it's sensitivity to color ?
if so why and if not why.

As far as I know, it doesn't (unless it heats up, or allows internal reflection and some nonlinear effect happens, depending on what film you use).

rayjohn01 said:
Such questions are not Earth shattereing but actually effect how we design things .

Not Earth shattering for normally-sighted people, but I agree it can matter for design, maybe even for some optometrist researchers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think on the film you are mostly correct , but not for stated reasons , the active grains are already embedded within a media of it's own refractive index and therefore do not careabout the glass except that is for grains which are within a wavelength of the light within either media -- they maybe schitzophrenic .
Ray.

That makes a lot of sense. My "stated reasons" (in parenthesis) were simply rough examples of how sandwiching between glass might affect properties of some films. I still think grain activity (absorption) is determined by frequency.

1. What is the definition of "optics"?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its properties, including its behavior, interactions with matter, and how it is perceived by the human eye.

2. What are the basic principles of "simple optics"?

The basic principles of simple optics involve the behavior of light as it travels through various mediums, such as air, water, and glass. This includes the concepts of refraction, reflection, and absorption of light.

3. How is "simple optics" used in everyday life?

Simple optics is used in many aspects of everyday life, from the lenses in eyeglasses and cameras, to the mirrors in cars and telescopes. It is also used in the design of optical instruments, such as microscopes and binoculars.

4. What are some common applications of "simple optics" in science and technology?

Simple optics has numerous applications in science and technology, including the use of lenses and mirrors in telescopes and microscopes, fiber optics in communication systems, and lasers in various industries such as medicine and manufacturing.

5. What are the differences between "simple optics" and "quantum optics"?

Simple optics deals with the behavior of light at a macroscopic level, while quantum optics involves the study of light at a microscopic level, taking into account the quantum nature of light. Additionally, simple optics focuses on the classical phenomena of light, while quantum optics explores the more complex behaviors of light, such as photon entanglement and quantum interference.