1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple physics help pls

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    need some help to refresh my memory.

was just doing some specification checking... when the motor is to lift a weight...

let say the weight is to be move at 2m/s with 2sec when it start... and stay at 2m/s throughout after that...

the initial force would be F = ma + (Watever force it need to overcome)
    where ma = m (dv/dt) ... simple

ok now the question... after it have reach the 2m/s velocity should the force F be
    F = (watever force it need to overcome) only ???... coz i don't need any more acceleration and just constant speed

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Well, yes lets assume you want to lift an object with just a pulley. The initial lifting of the object as you stated would need more than the objects gravitational force. Then to have the object lift at a constant velocity the force would just need to be equivalent to the gravitational force upward. The mass would then have no acceleration/net force and thanks to the laws of inertia would be able to continue travelling upward at a constant velocity.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    thanks... u safe me lots of trouble

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook