Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Probability Question

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    Should be simple enough... unfortunately I'm 20 years removed from college and can't seem to find an equation so I thought I'd post it here.

If there is a 30% chance that Bob will give me a $1, and a 30% chance that Ted will give me a $1 and a 30% chance that Frank will give me a $1. What are the chances that at least one of them gives me a $1?

Very hypothetical, but if someone could give me the equation to solve it then I can figure some other problems out on my own.

Thanks,
    Dale

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The chance that at least one will give you a dollar is 100% minus the chance that none will give you a dollar. The chance that none will give you a dollar is the chance that the first won't give you a dollar times the chance the second won't times the chance the third won't.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    So... if I get this straight

1 - (.7 x .7 x .7) = 65.7% ???

5. Sep 27, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, or you can look at all the combinations that can occur, e.g. Bob gives you a dollar and Ted and Frank don't, and so on, and then sum the appropriate probabilities.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook