1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Probability Question

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    Should be simple enough... unfortunately I'm 20 years removed from college and can't seem to find an equation so I thought I'd post it here.

If there is a 30% chance that Bob will give me a $1, and a 30% chance that Ted will give me a $1 and a 30% chance that Frank will give me a $1. What are the chances that at least one of them gives me a $1?

Very hypothetical, but if someone could give me the equation to solve it then I can figure some other problems out on my own.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The chance that at least one will give you a dollar is 100% minus the chance that none will give you a dollar. The chance that none will give you a dollar is the chance that the first won't give you a dollar times the chance the second won't times the chance the third won't.
  4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    So... if I get this straight

1 - (.7 x .7 x .7) = 65.7% ???
  5. Sep 27, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, or you can look at all the combinations that can occur, e.g. Bob gives you a dollar and Ted and Frank don't, and so on, and then sum the appropriate probabilities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook