Proving the Inequality: x^n < y^n

• Thread starter evry190
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the statement 0<x<y, prove x^n<y^n for n = natural numbers can be proven using induction and axioms of the real number system. By showing that x^n < x^{n-1}y < \dots < xy^{n-1} < y^n, it can be proved that x^n < y^n. However, it may be more accessible to use axioms of the real number system to prove this statement for real numbers x and y.
evry190
0<x<y, prove x^n<y^n for n = natural numbers

I know its obvious, but I don't really know what to write to proove it...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your attempt at a solution. Perhaps try induction

well

P(1) is true (x<y)

and P(n) is true (x^n<y^n)

and p(n+1) is true (x^n+1 < y^n+1)

Induction is the best way to show this proof.
the way you should start would be:
Let P(n) be the statement 0<x<y then x^n<y^n where n=natural numbers

Then your base case is where x and y are the smallest natural numbers such that they apply to your restrictions, then of course you assume that P(n) is true for some n like you have and then just go through the steps to show that P(n+1) is true. You just need to beef up your proof. Your on the right track!=)

but x and y don't have to be natural numbers
im a bit confused : (

This is easily proved with axioms of the real number system. You can use multiplicative and order axioms to show that for z>0, xz<yx since, z(x-y)<0 for example. Then you can show that for 0<x<y and 0<u<v, 0<xu<yv. In the case that 0<x<y and u=x and y=v, x^2<y^2...x^n<y^n.

Induction seems like the best way to give a formal proof of the fact, but a sloppy and informal proof could show that [itex]x^n < x^{n-1}y < \dots < xy^{n-1} < y^n[/itex].

jgens said:
Induction seems like the best way to give a formal proof of the fact, but a sloppy and informal proof could show that [itex]x^n < x^{n-1}y < \dots < xy^{n-1} < y^n[/itex].

I don't see how that would work, I did not give a good way to prove this but I think the only way to do this properly (and formally) would be with axioms of the real number system. With induction it seems much less accessible since you have not only prove it for all n, but for real numbers x and y. I'd be interested to see how this works, since the choice of inequality at the start is comletely arbitrary isn't it? Maybe I'm missing something.

1. What is the meaning of the inequality x^n < y^n?

The inequality x^n < y^n means that when two numbers, x and y, are raised to the same power n, the result of y^n will always be greater than the result of x^n.

2. How can we prove the inequality x^n < y^n?

One way to prove the inequality x^n < y^n is by using mathematical induction. This involves showing that the inequality holds for a base case, and then proving that if it holds for a certain value of n, it also holds for the next value of n.

3. Can the inequality x^n < y^n be true for all values of x and y?

No, the inequality x^n < y^n is not always true for all values of x and y. It depends on the value of n and the relationship between x and y. For example, if n is a negative number, the inequality will be reversed and x^n > y^n.

4. Are there any exceptions to the inequality x^n < y^n?

Yes, there are exceptions to the inequality x^n < y^n. For example, if x and y are both negative numbers and n is an even number, then x^n < y^n may not hold true. This is because when a negative number is raised to an even power, the result becomes positive.

5. Why is proving the inequality x^n < y^n important in mathematics?

Proving the inequality x^n < y^n is important in mathematics because it helps us understand and compare the relationships between numbers raised to different powers. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and calculus, and is used in many mathematical proofs and applications.