Proving Distance Between a Point and a Closed Set

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a point, a, not belonging to a closed set B has a non-zero distance from B. The conversation includes hints, such as using contradiction and checking the definition of dist(a, B), and ultimately concludes by stating that there exists a ball with radius r around a such that B does not intersect that ball, and therefore, dist(a, B) >= r.
henry22

Homework Statement

Prove that a point,a, not belonging to the closed set B has a non-zero distance from B. I.e that dist(a,B)=inf(y in a) ||a-y||>0

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to start this. It is only worth a few marks and I have been told it is fairly easy but I have always struggled with proofs.

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I use contradiction somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you working in a metric space? Also, you might want to check your definition of dist (a, B). It's not quite right. Anyway, here's a hint: If B is closed, then its complement is ... .

Sorry yes the inf part should be (y in B) not y in a. So if B is closed the complement must be open. So the point a is in an open set?

Look in your text! You should see something like

dist(a, B) = inf (dist(a , b) : b [itex]\in[/itex] B)

And yes, a belongs to an open set that doesn't intersect B. Therefore, there exists an open ball centered at a such that ... .

Such that (x in X : ||x-a|| < r)?

So you've proven that there exists a ball with radius r around a, such that B doesn't intersect that ball.
Now, take a point b in B. Is b an element of our ball? What can you say now over the distance between a and b?

b does not intersect the ball and so the distance between a and b will be >= r-b ?

Where do you get r-b?? The distance between a and b is always greater than r...
So, whatever b we take, we got dist(a,b)>=r. What can you say now about dist(a,B)??

sorry I forgot we had centred the ball at a, I was thinking a was any point.

So now we can say that dist(a,B)>=r as well

Seems like you've got it then!

Is it that easy?! I was expecting more work than that to be honest ha.

thanks for the help guys

1. What is the definition of distance between a point and a closed set?

The distance between a point and a closed set is the shortest distance between the point and any point within the closed set. It is also known as the infimum of the distances between the point and the set.

2. How is the distance between a point and a closed set calculated?

The distance between a point and a closed set is calculated by finding the minimum distance between the point and any point within the closed set. This can be done using a formula such as the Pythagorean theorem or the distance formula.

3. Can the distance between a point and a closed set be negative?

No, the distance between a point and a closed set cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the shortest distance between the point and the set.

4. What is the significance of proving the distance between a point and a closed set?

Proving the distance between a point and a closed set is important in many fields of mathematics such as topology, analysis, and geometry. It allows us to understand the relationship between a point and a set, and can be used to solve various mathematical problems.

5. Are there any special cases where the distance between a point and a closed set cannot be determined?

Yes, there are some special cases where the distance between a point and a closed set cannot be determined. For example, if the closed set is unbounded or if the point is not in the same space as the closed set, the distance cannot be calculated. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to approximate the distance.