How Do I Choose Between Sin, Cos, and Tan in Trigonometry Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses when to use sin, cos, and tan in a physics class. The speaker suggests understanding the angle being measured and using the mnemonic SohCahToa to determine which ratio to use. They also recommend drawing out the problem to make it easier to identify the correct ratio. Additionally, they mention that remembering that sin0 = tan0 = 0 and cos0 = 1 can also help with applying these ratios.
jamesdubya
No problem specifically, just more of a method question.
I am extremely confused on when to use sin cos and tan. Say for instance it gives me an angle, say theta, and one side. How would I be able to tell what to use sin cos or tan. I know the trick SohCahToa but I really am confused. I am in a physics class and this comes up all the time and I feel as if I eliminate this barrier it will really benefit me in the long run. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First understand what angle they are talking about. If you know what angle is being measured, then using sohcahtoa you can decide for yourself if sin cos or tan need to be used. If youre confused, draw the problem out to make it easier for you to see which angle is in question.

Hi jamesdubya! :smile:

Since you know SohCahToa, I don't really understand what the problem is.

If you're given a right-angled triangle, and the length of the hypotenuse, and they ask you the length of one side, then see if that side is the adjacent side … if it is, you want adjacent/hypotenuse, so that's cos (Cah :wink:), if it's not, you want opposite/hypotenuse, so that's sin (Soh).

If you find SohCahToa difficult to apply, I suggest you remember that sin0 =tan0 = 0 and cos0 = 1 …

if you draw a thin triangle, so one angle is nearly 0, it's pretty obvious then which ratios are nearly 0 (so they must be sin and tan), and which is nearly 1 (so that must be cos). :smile:

Thank you very much that helps greatly :)

What is the definition of sin, cos, tan?

Sin, cos, and tan are mathematical functions used in trigonometry. Sin (sine) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. Cos (cosine) represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. Tan (tangent) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

How are sin, cos, tan calculated?

Sin, cos, and tan are calculated using a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table. They are also calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and the angle measurements of a triangle.

What are the primary applications of sin, cos, tan?

Sin, cos, and tan are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in real-world situations.

How do sin, cos, tan relate to each other?

Sin, cos, and tan are interrelated as they are all based on the properties of a right triangle. The sine function is the reciprocal of the cosecant function, the cosine function is the reciprocal of the secant function, and the tangent function is the reciprocal of the cotangent function.

What is the difference between sin, cos, tan?

The main difference between sin, cos, and tan is the ratio they represent in a right triangle. Sin represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cos represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tan represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.