1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Question for my homework

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    could u guys please help me, i need to determine the pressure difference between the two pipelines, and i know how to calculate those problem, but the problem is should i just ignored the air column in my analysis to find the difference pressure??

please help, and thanks in advanced

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    please let me know if possibly the way that im asking for help doesnt suit with any of this forum term okay, im still new here thanks mate

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'll move your thread to Intro Physics to get it more views.

I would think you would need to use the Ideal Gas Law for the air portion, and it seems like the pressure would be uniform throughout the air portion....

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you actually trying to find - whats the question?

6. Jul 29, 2008 #5
    i need to find the difference of the pressure between those two pipelines, i just need to know if i need to consider the air columned too??or should be ignored??once i know it, i can proceed with the calculation by my self (perhaps)

thanks for ur reply

regards
    noobies

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6
    thanks mate

8. Jul 29, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see, the circles are pipes running out of the page - they looked like sealed bulbs forming a thermometer!
    The pressure at each end of the air column must be the same. The air will compress - but that doesn't change things. It's exactly equivalent to just having the two water columns with a moveable piston between them.

9. Jul 29, 2008 #8
    is actually U turn manometer, ya know that the pressure at each end must be d same..so should i ignored the air columned? to finde the diff between each end?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?