Simple question involving steam tables

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, the question asks for the amount of heat required to convert wet steam at 0.5Mpa and quality 0.84 to dry saturated steam, given that it is heated at constant volume and constant pressure. The first law is used to calculate the heat required, with the equations for enthalpy, internal energy, entropy, and specific volume taken from the tables. The first law is reduced to account for a constant volume and constant pressure process, and the energy per unit mass is calculated using the given initial conditions and the properties of saturated gas.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Wet steam at 0.5Mpa, quality 0.84 is to be heated to dry saturated steam. Determine the heat required if it is heated at constant volume and at constant pressure.

Homework Equations

h=hf +xhfg

u=uf +xufg

s=sf +xsfg

v=vf +xvfg

The Attempt at a Solution

WET STEAM
Sat. pressure 500.0000 kPa
Sat. temperature 151.8438 C
Quality 0.8400
Moisture 0.1600
Enthalpy 2410.3480 kJ/kg
hf 640.1158 kJ/kg
hfg 2107.4194 kJ/kg
hg 2747.5351 kJ/kg

Internal energy 2252.8966 kJ/kg
uf 639.5693 kJ/kg
ufg 1920.6277 kJ/kg
ug 2560.1970 kJ/kg

Entropy 6.0258 kJ/kg/C
sf 1.8604 kJ/kg/C
sfg 4.9588 kJ/kg/C
sg 6.8192 kJ/kg/C

Specific volume 0.3149 m3/kg
vf 0.0011 m3/kg
vfg 0.3736 m3/kg
vg 0.3747 m3/kg

this is what I found so far from the tables

At constant volume: (W=0)

1st law: Q-W=U

therefore Q=U=m(u2-u1)

I can get the specific entropies, internal energies, volumes,enthalpies from the tables.

But how do I get the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there rock.freak
But how do I get the mass?
I would assume the question is asking for heat per unit mass, not total heat.

therefore Q=U=m(u2-u1)
Note that this is for constant volume. Do you know how to reduce the first law for a constant pressure process? There's an easy way of remembering how to reduce the first law for these processes. If you're having trouble with this, I'd be glad to point it out.

Q_Goest said:
Hi there rock.freak

I would assume the question is asking for heat per unit mass, not total heat.

So then I'd just need to find the value of Q/m then?

Q_Goest said:
Note that this is for constant volume. Do you know how to reduce the first law for a constant pressure process? There's an easy way of remembering how to reduce the first law for these processes. If you're having trouble with this, I'd be glad to point it out.

Well the first part is for a constant volume process.
So from the tables, I just need to get u2 and u1 right? u1 would be ug and u2 would be the value using u2=uf+ xufg right?

For constant pressure

Q=(u2-u1)+ P(v2-v1)

u2 and u1 would be the same for the constant volume as above.

v2 would need to be found using v2=vf+xvfg and v1=vf

Would this be correct?

So then I'd just need to find the value of Q/m then?
Just to be clear, they're asking for energy per unit mass, so the equation you provided earlier:
therefore Q=U=m(u2-u1)
is correct for a constant volume process. The first law dU = m(u2-u1) = dQ then becomes
u2-u1 = Q/m

and all you need to do is look up u1 from initial conditions and u2 from the saturated gas condition.

For constant pressure

Q=(u2-u1)+ P(v2-v1)
Correct. If you're comfortable with that, continue on. If you'd like another way of looking at it consider this:

Draw a control volume and show Hin and Hout as mass entering and leaving the control volume. Then, rewrite the first law:
dU = dQ + dW + dH = (Qin-Qout) + (Win-Wout) + (Hin-Hout)

For a constant pressure process, such as a heat exchanger in which you have a flow in and a flow out and heat in or out. No work. No stored mass (dU = 0). So the first law as I've rewritten it can be reduced for a constant pressure process such as a heat exchanger:

dU = 0 = Hin - Hout + Qin
(no work done by or on the heat exchanger so dW = 0, energy flow is into exchanger only)

Now you can solve for energy per unit mass in a slightly different way:

Qin = Hout - Hin = m(hout-hin)

You have hin since you have initial conditions. You have hout since you know the steam is saturated gas and you know the pressure. Now all you do is solve for Q.

This method should give you the same result as the way you show, but personally I find it much easier.

Hope that's clear, I'm in a rush unfortunately but can respond later if there's a misunderstanding.

Related to Simple question involving steam tables

1. What are steam tables and what are they used for?

Steam tables are a type of thermodynamic reference table that provides data on the properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. They are commonly used in engineering and scientific calculations involving steam processes.

2. How are steam tables organized and what units are used?

Steam tables are typically organized in two separate tables – one for saturated water and one for saturated steam. The units used in steam tables are typically metric, with temperature given in degrees Celsius and pressure given in kilopascals (kPa).

3. What information can be found in steam tables?

Steam tables provide data on properties such as specific volume, enthalpy, entropy, and quality (dryness fraction) of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. These properties are important for calculating energy transfer, work, and efficiency in steam processes.

4. How is data from steam tables used in practical applications?

Data from steam tables is used in a variety of practical applications, including the design and operation of steam turbines, boilers, and other steam-powered machinery. It is also used in industrial processes such as power generation, chemical production, and heating and cooling systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using steam tables?

While steam tables are a useful tool for calculating properties of water and steam, they are based on certain assumptions and have limitations. These include assuming ideal gas behavior and neglecting changes in properties due to non-ideal conditions, such as high pressures or impurities in the steam. It is important to use caution and consider these limitations when using data from steam tables in practical applications.