Verifying Calculations for 2g of NH4Cl: Low Yields Explained

• Thread starter mastiffcacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculations
In summary, the conversation revolved around attempting to produce 2 grams of NH4Cl using HCl and NH4ClOH. The calculated amount needed for the reaction was 6.25 mL of each solution, but the results were only .186 g and .233 g in two trials. The conversation also mentioned the low yield of the reaction and the potential for sublimation of the solid during the drying process. The individual was trying to determine what could have caused the low yield and if there were any errors in their calculations or method.
mastiffcacher
Trying to make sure my calculations were correct. We were tasked to make 2 grams of NH4Cl. Our proposed method was using HCl and NH4ClOH. This was confirmed as our best way.

The way I figured it was that 2 grams of ammonium chloride was 0.037519 moles. We used 6M hydrochloric acid and 6M ammonium hydroxide for the reaction. I calculated that we needed 6.25 mL of each solution to make the 2 grams. Our results were horrible as we only made .186 g and .233 g in two different trials.

I am wondering if these amounts are correct at least theoretically. Does this reaction typically have this low of a percent yield? If it is usually this low of a yield, why might this be?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
When you try to dry ammonium chloride, it spontaneously reverts back to HCl and NH3 under suprisingly mild conditions... it evaporates.

So it should have produced 2 grams but the loss is great while drying?

What conditions did you use to produce and dry it?

We used 6.25 mL of 6M HCl and 6.25 mL of 6M NH4OH. Placed in beaker under hood. When vapors stopped from beaker, we moved to a hot plate se at ~250F. It took about 15 minutes or so for the resultant water to evaporate. This was done in my chem lab for school. I was working on a report and am trying to figure out what errors may have occured. I just wanted to make sure that I did not miss something in my calculations and that 6.25 mL was the correct volume of 6M reactants to use. I also thought that my TA told us that this was the better reaction to run. Maybe she meant the easiest. If that is the correct volume, why is the loss so great?

Calculations are OK. The only thing I can think off - apart from some human error - is what was already signalled by Chemisttree, loss due to the sublimation of the solid.

1. What is the purpose of verifying calculations for 2g of NH4Cl?

The purpose of verifying calculations for 2g of NH4Cl is to ensure that the results obtained through the experiment are accurate and reliable. It allows scientists to identify any potential errors or discrepancies in their calculations and make necessary adjustments.

2. Why is a low yield observed when using 2g of NH4Cl?

A low yield may be observed when using 2g of NH4Cl due to various factors such as incomplete reactions, product loss during handling, or experimental errors. Verifying calculations can help identify the cause of the low yield and make improvements for future experiments.

3. How can calculations be verified for 2g of NH4Cl?

Calculations for 2g of NH4Cl can be verified by comparing the expected yield, based on the balanced chemical equation, to the actual yield obtained from the experiment. This can also be done by checking the accuracy of measurements and identifying any sources of error.

4. What can be done to improve the yield when using 2g of NH4Cl?

To improve the yield when using 2g of NH4Cl, scientists can optimize reaction conditions, ensure accurate measurements, and minimize product loss during handling. Conducting multiple trials and averaging the results can also help improve the overall yield.

5. How important is it to verify calculations for 2g of NH4Cl?

Verifying calculations for 2g of NH4Cl is crucial for ensuring the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It helps identify any potential errors and allows for adjustments to be made, ultimately leading to more accurate and consistent data.