Finding Your Age in Year x2: Answers & Solutions

• Thread starter Cr4X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Year
In summary: He explains it clearly and accurately.In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the year of birth and age of a person given the information that they are x years old in year x2, where x2 is a 2-digit number with the unit digit of 2 and ten's digit of x. The conclusion is that the year of birth is 9x+2 and the age is x years, with some clarification and speculation about the exact meaning of "x2" and possible values of x.
Cr4X
I am faced with a problem at school, which I strongly believe i answered correctly to, but I have still gotten it as an error, so I would like to know what you would reply to this:

I am x years in year x2. I am born in the 20. century.

A: When am I born?
B: How old am I in year x2?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does x2 refer to a 2-digit number whose unit digit is "2" and ten's digit is "x" ?

If this is true, then the year of birth depends on x (there is no constant answer). Simply, the year of birth is :10x+2-x = 9x+2 (assuming you TURNED x years old in year x2)

If you want the individual digits of the 2-digit year in terms of x, then for x=[2..9] you have :
ten's digit = x-1 and unit's digit =12 - x
and for x=[0,1,2], ten's digit = x, unit's digit = 2-x

Perhaps you should clarify "I am x years in year x2" before anyone speculates any further.

Last edited:
I think he means [tex]x^2[/tex]. Assume the person's year of birth is a, then [tex]x^2 - a = x[/tex], or equivalently, [tex]a = x^2 - x[/tex]. But [tex]1900 \leq a \leq 1999[/tex], so [tex]1900 \leq x^2 - x \leq 1999[/tex]. Solving for x and disregarding negative values gives [tex]44.09 \leq x \leq 45.21[/tex], so x must be 45 (well, that's not really true, but I'm assuming we're working with only natural numbers here). This gives a = 1980. And yes, a person born in 1980 is indeed 45 years old in the year 45^2 = 2025.

Last edited:
Muzza said:
I think he means [tex]x^2[/tex].

Of course, he does !

1. How do I calculate my age in year x2?

To calculate your age in year x2, you need to know your current age and the value of x2. Then, multiply your current age by x2 to get your age in year x2. For example, if your current age is 30 and x2 is 2, your age in year x2 would be 60.

2. What is the purpose of finding my age in year x2?

Finding your age in year x2 can be useful for planning ahead. It allows you to see how old you will be in the future and can help you make decisions about retirement, financial planning, and other important life events.

3. Can I use any value for x2?

Yes, you can use any value for x2 as long as it is a whole number. However, keep in mind that the higher the value of x2, the older your age in year x2 will be compared to your current age.

4. What if my current age is a decimal or fraction?

If your current age is a decimal or fraction, you can still calculate your age in year x2 by rounding your age to the nearest whole number. For example, if your current age is 25.5 and x2 is 3, your age in year x2 would be 76.5, but you can round it to 77.

5. Can I use this calculation to find my age in other time intervals?

Yes, you can use this calculation to find your age in any time interval. Instead of using x2, you can replace it with the desired time interval, such as x3 for age in year x3 or x5 for age in year x5.