1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    I am faced with a problem at school, which I strongly belive i answered correctly to, but I have still gotten it as an error, so I would like to know what you would reply to this:

I am x years in year x2. I am born in the 20. century.

A: When am I born?
    B: How old am I in year x2?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does x2 refer to a 2-digit number whose unit digit is "2" and ten's digit is "x" ?

If this is true, then the year of birth depends on x (there is no constant answer). Simply, the year of birth is :10x+2-x = 9x+2 (assuming you TURNED x years old in year x2)

If you want the individual digits of the 2-digit year in terms of x, then for x=[2..9] you have :
    ten's digit = x-1 and unit's digit =12 - x
    and for x=[0,1,2], ten's digit = x, unit's digit = 2-x

Perhaps you should clarify "I am x years in year x2" before anyone speculates any further.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  4. Jun 7, 2004 #3
    I think he means [tex]x^2[/tex]. Assume the person's year of birth is a, then [tex]x^2 - a = x[/tex], or equivalently, [tex]a = x^2 - x[/tex]. But [tex]1900 \leq a \leq 1999[/tex], so [tex]1900 \leq x^2 - x \leq 1999[/tex]. Solving for x and disregarding negative values gives [tex]44.09 \leq x \leq 45.21[/tex], so x must be 45 (well, that's not really true, but I'm assuming we're working with only natural numbers here). This gives a = 1980. And yes, a person born in 1980 is indeed 45 years old in the year 45^2 = 2025.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  5. Jun 7, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, he does !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?