Is it possible to prove that -(-A)=A using the concept of set subtraction?

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equivalence of -(-A) and A, with one person suggesting that x \in -(-A) is the same as x \notin -A and therefore x \in A. The other person agrees with the proof but questions the necessity of the intermediate steps. The conversation concludes with a casual agreement to interpret the proof however one pleases.
Kamataat
I need to prove that [tex]-(-A)=A[/tex]. I guess it's the same as [tex]S-(S-A)=A[/tex], where [tex]S[/tex] is the space. So is it true, that if [tex]x \in S-(S-A)[/tex] then [tex]x \notin S-A[/tex]?

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it -A means the complement of A (with respect to some universe)? The following are equivalent (~ means "not"):

x [itex]\in[/itex] -(-A)
x [itex]\notin[/itex] -A
~(x [itex]\in[/itex] -A)
~(x [itex]\notin[/itex] A)
~(~(x [itex]\in[/itex] A))
x [itex]\in[/itex] A

That establishes the two inclusions -(-A) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A and A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] -(-A).

Thanks, Muzza, I get your proof. Still, why are the NOT steps neccessary? Why not this instead:

[tex]x \in -(-A)[/tex]
[tex]x \notin -A[/tex]
[tex]x \in A[/tex]?

If you go (in your post) from step #1 to step #2 directly, then why don't you go from #2 to #6 (e.g. skip #3, #4 and #5)? I mean, if from #1 follows #2, then doesn't #6 follow from #1 and #2 combined (w/o the intermediate steps)?

- Kamataat

*shrug* Do as you please :P

ok, tnx

- Kamataat

1. What is a "Simple set question"?

A "Simple set question" is a type of research question that is used to gather basic information about a particular topic. It typically asks for a straightforward response and does not require in-depth analysis or interpretation.

2. How is a "Simple set question" different from other types of research questions?

Unlike other types of research questions, a "Simple set question" is typically more focused and specific. It is used to gather basic information and does not require complex or multi-dimensional responses.

3. When is it appropriate to use a "Simple set question" in scientific research?

A "Simple set question" can be used in various stages of scientific research, such as in the initial exploratory phase or as a way to gather basic data for a larger study. It can also be used as a screening tool to identify potential areas of interest for further investigation.

4. How do you formulate a "Simple set question"?

To formulate a "Simple set question", it is important to identify the specific information you want to gather and frame the question in a way that is clear and easy to understand. Avoid using complex language or jargon, and make sure the question is relevant to your research topic.

5. Can "Simple set questions" be used in both quantitative and qualitative research?

Yes, "Simple set questions" can be used in both quantitative and qualitative research. In quantitative research, they may be used as survey or interview questions to gather basic data, while in qualitative research, they can be used to gather basic information or as a starting point for further exploration of a topic.