1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple set question

1. Feb 16, 2005 #1
    I need to prove that [tex]-(-A)=A[/tex]. I guess it's the same as [tex]S-(S-A)=A[/tex], where [tex]S[/tex] is the space. So is it true, that if [tex]x \in S-(S-A)[/tex] then [tex]x \notin S-A[/tex]?

- Kamataat

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2005 #2
    I take it -A means the complement of A (with respect to some universe)? The following are equivalent (~ means "not"):

x [itex]\in[/itex] -(-A)
    x [itex]\notin[/itex] -A
    ~(x [itex]\in[/itex] -A)
    ~(x [itex]\notin[/itex] A)
    ~(~(x [itex]\in[/itex] A))
    x [itex]\in[/itex] A

That establishes the two inclusions -(-A) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A and A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] -(-A).

4. Feb 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks, Muzza, I get your proof. Still, why are the NOT steps neccessary? Why not this instead:

[tex]x \in -(-A)[/tex]
    [tex]x \notin -A[/tex]
    [tex]x \in A[/tex]?

If you go (in your post) from step #1 to step #2 directly, then why don't you go from #2 to #6 (e.g. skip #3, #4 and #5)? I mean, if from #1 follows #2, then doesn't #6 follow from #1 and #2 combined (w/o the intermediate steps)?

- Kamataat

5. Feb 16, 2005 #4
    *shrug* Do as you please :P

6. Feb 16, 2005 #5
    ok, tnx

- Kamataat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?