Set Theory: How Many Elements are in the Cartesian Product of Two Sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of elements in the cartesian product of two sets, E and F. It is determined that E x F would have either m or n elements, depending on whether m = n or m > n. It is also mentioned that if E x F is an empty set, then either E or F must also be an empty set. The conversation then moves on to discussing examples where the cartesian product of two sets is a subset of another cartesian product, but the sets themselves may not be subsets of each other. The concept of a set and its elements is also briefly discussed.
Ed Quanta
If E has m elements and F has n elements, how many elements does E x F have?

My thinking is that E x F would either have m or n elements. If m= n, then E x F would have m elements (or n elements). If m>n, then E x F would have n elements since E x F ={(x,y): x is an element of E and y is an element of F}. This of E has more elements than F, then there could only be n (x,y) pairs since there would only be n y's.Am I correct?

Also, if E x F is an empty set, then it would follow that E or F would have to be an empty set,right?

Physics news on Phys.org
think of it as finite sets of points in the plane. the set MxN would be a "rectangle" with mn points. it's true even if M & N are infinite but that's a bit more complicated.

Did it not occur to try a couple of examples, say with small sets with a couple of elements in each?

Thanks Fourier

Can someone provide me with an example where the cartesian product
E x F is a subset of G x H but it does not follow that E is a subset of G and F is a subset of H?
I have been trying to come up with an example that satisifies this condition for the last day or so.
I can see why it would be true that E is a subset of G and F is a subset of H would imply E x F is a subset of G x H. But I am not sure about the reverse direction.

Try letting E or F be the empty set.

Actually the answer to your question is tautological, i.e. mn is by definition the number of elements of a set MxN where m = card(M) and n = card(N).

In other words the set MxN is considered by many as more basic than the notion of multiplication.

This not so stupid as it appears since the product set makes sense for infinite sets whereas the product of cardinal numbers does not, a priori.

But one even more basic thing has puzzled me all these years: what is a set?:tongue2:

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
But one even more basic thing has puzzled me all these years: what is a set?:tongue2:
suppes says it's something that either has elements in it, or is the empty set :biggrin:

fourier jr said:
suppes says it's something that either has elements in it, or is the empty set :biggrin:

So a set is something that has elements- or doesn't?:yuck:

I'm moving this to the set theory forum.

HallsofIvy said:
So a set is something that has elements- or doesn't?:yuck:
I'm moving this to the set theory forum.

lol he says "y is a set <--> there exists x such that x is an element of y or y is the empty set" (p.19)

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements that are defined by specific properties or characteristics. It is used to analyze and understand the relationships and structures between different sets.

2. What is a set?

A set is a well-defined collection of objects or elements that are treated as a single entity. In set theory, sets are represented by capital letters and their elements are enclosed in curly braces. For example, A = {1, 2, 3} is a set with the elements 1, 2, and 3.

3. What are the basic operations of set theory?

The basic operations of set theory include union, intersection, and complement. Union is the combination of two sets, intersection is the common elements between two sets, and complement is the set of all elements that are not in a given set.

4. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set refers to the number of elements in a set. It is denoted by |A|, where A is the set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3}, then |A| = 3.

5. How is set theory used in real life?

Set theory is used in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, and statistics to model and analyze different concepts and relationships. It is also used in everyday life, such as in grouping and classifying objects, organizing data, and solving problems in decision-making and problem-solving processes.