Understanding Tension in a Vertical Pendulum: Calculation and Explanation

• Thread starter Joza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: Ok so the sum of the y forces is still T - mg, but now there's an extra force acting on the bob, in the direction of theta. So the equation becomes:T - mg + (m(v)^2)/R = 0 This is right.
Joza
I know this may sound very simple, but I am actually a bit confuses about it.

Say, in a pendulum swinging in a vertical plane. How does one calculate the tension in the string ( no mass) ,which is connected to a bob (mass m), at various points, say like and angle beta with the vertical?

I know its a very simple idea, but it is actually confusing me. I think I am doing it wrong. If someone could run thru it quickly, I mite see my mistake.

Cheers guys :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the bob. What forces are acting on it? The sum of all forces in X direction equals zero and like wise in Y direction. Once you derive the magnitude of the tension in X and Y direction, how would you calculate the magnitude of that vector?

Would the sum in x direction be zero since the pendulum is swinging? Isn't it acceleration in a horizontal direction?

Haven't we discussed this at length in your other thread? :grumpy:

I told you several times what to do. Did you try it?

(Also: Don't post the same question in multiple threads!)

This is actually a different question :redface:

It's a bit different but no matter how I try it my answer is wrong. I must be seriously flawed somewhere

I would not conclude that you were seriously flawed, but your approach may well be. :smile:

As always, identify the forces and apply Newton's 2nd law. Hint: The acceleration has a radial and a tangential component. Treat them separately.

Thanks, I'll try that in a second. But just to give you an idea of my reasoning, say the pendulum passes through the vertical.

My diagram says there are 2 forces on the bob, weight acting down, and tension in string acting upward. And these 2 should be equal in magnitude. Is THIS right?

Joza said:
My diagram says there are 2 forces on the bob, weight acting down, and tension in string acting upward.
This is right.
And these 2 should be equal in magnitude.
This is wrong.

Hint: What's the acceleration? Hint 2: What kind of motion is this?

Circular?

So my equation for the sum of y forces would be:

T - mg = (m(v)^2)/R ??

Right!

Hoorah! :rolleyes:

Ok so that's for the vertical position, and it seems straight forward, I just forgot about the acceleration. But what about say at an angle theta with the vertical?

Analyze force components parallel to the string. Apply Newton's 2nd law. (Sound familiar?) Hint: Find the speed.

But if that angle is its maximum, won't speed be zero?

Joza said:
But if that angle is its maximum, won't speed be zero?
Sure, if the angle is the maximum angle. (But you just said angle theta. :wink:) I trust you can solve your earlier problem now?

1. What is tension in a vertical pendulum?

Tension in a vertical pendulum is the force acting on the pendulum string or rod that keeps it taut and prevents it from falling due to gravity. It is an important factor in calculating the motion and stability of a vertical pendulum.

2. How is tension calculated in a vertical pendulum?

Tension in a vertical pendulum is calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the pendulum. This equation takes into account the weight of the pendulum and any additional forces acting on it.

3. What factors affect tension in a vertical pendulum?

The factors that affect tension in a vertical pendulum include the length of the string or rod, the mass of the pendulum, the angle at which it is suspended, and any additional forces acting on it, such as air resistance. These factors can impact the motion and stability of the pendulum.

4. How does tension affect the motion of a vertical pendulum?

Tension plays a crucial role in determining the motion and stability of a vertical pendulum. As the tension increases, the pendulum will swing with greater force and amplitude. However, if the tension is too high, it can cause the pendulum to become unstable and lose its regular swinging motion.

5. Why is understanding tension important in a vertical pendulum?

Understanding tension in a vertical pendulum is important because it helps us predict and explain the behavior of the pendulum. By calculating tension, we can determine the motion and stability of the pendulum, as well as make adjustments to optimize its performance. Tension also has real-world applications, such as in clock pendulums and amusement park rides.