Find Angle in Right Triangle Given Hyp and Opposite Side

• Thread starter vysero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: That is, if y= ax, then x= y/a. So, yes, "dividing by 2pi undoes the multiplication of 2pi". That's the definition of what division is. If you have trouble with that, you should go back to the beginning and review arithmetic.
vysero
If I have a right triangle and I know the hyp and the length of the opposite side of the angle I want then how do I find that angle? For instance: hyp = .9m and side opposite the angle I want = 1.5m. I tried dividing 1.5/.9 = 1.7 then I thought all i had to do was take the inverse sin of 1.7 and it would give me my angle but my calc gives me an error... So I am confused, how do I get the angle i want?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vysero said:
If I have a right triangle and I know the hyp and the length of the opposite side of the angle I want then how do I find that angle? For instance: hyp = .9m and side opposite the angle I want = 1.5m. I tried dividing 1.5/.9 = 1.7 then I thought all i had to do was take the inverse sin of 1.7 and it would give me my angle but my calc gives me an error... So I am confused, how do I get the angle i want?

Sine oscillates between -1 and 1 so you can't take the inverse sine of 1.7, right? You should probably draw a picture and make sure you've got the relationships right.

I figured out that it's not going to work like that because I am asking for a value greater than 1... ok so I acted to brashly and asked for help before I thought my question through sorry guys ignore this post.

Anyway, the hypotenuse of a right triangle can't be never shorter than any cathetus, so you must have wrong lengths.

Okay so here is the problem. If I have a circumference of .9m and I want the radius of the circle then I just divide .9 by 2pi right? Which according to my calculator = 1.5 m... However, when I put this same problem into Microsoft mathematics it says r = .14 When I look at the solution steps it says something about how dividing by 2pi undoes the multiplication of 2pi... I guess I am missing something here.

adriaat said:
Anyway, the hypotenuse of a right triangle can't be never shorter than any cathetus, so you must have wrong lengths.

Plus 1 for cathetus. I've only ever heard the word "leg" in this context. Good knowledge! And welcome to the forum.

vysero said:
Okay so here is the problem. If I have a circumference of .9m and I want the radius of the circle then I just divide .9 by 2pi right? Which according to my calculator = 1.5 m...

That can't be right. One little math trick is to always compare calculator results to common sense. That's a lifesaver on tests. As you work, continually make common-sense estimates and see if your numbers are in the ballpark.

Pi is about 3, right? That's close enough for the moment. So what's 2pi? It's about 6. And if I take .9 and divide by 6, how can the answer be 1.5? If I start with .9, which is a little less than 1; and I divide it into 6 pieces; then each piece needs to be way less than 1. Can't be greater than 1. So right here if you're thinking about this as you go, you'd know you made a mistake.

I apologize for being a dinosaur here ... but you should put down that calculator. You're punching numbers in as a substitute for thinking about what's going on. Easy to do. But it can lead you astray. Better to just work this problem out on paper.

By the way, 9 divided by 6 is 1.5. You forgot the decimal point. But if you develop the habit of doing reality checks as you work, you'll avoid these kinds of errors on tests.

Last edited:
vysero said:
Okay so here is the problem. If I have a circumference of .9m and I want the radius of the circle then I just divide .9 by 2pi right? Which according to my calculator = 1.5 m...
Then get a new calculator or reread the manual! A small number divided by a larger number (2pi is larger than 6) cannot be larger than 1. .9 divided by [itex]2\pi[/itex] is about .14. Surely you aren't under the impression that [itex]\pi[/itex]= 0.314... but that would be my best guess- that you have drop a factor of 10.

However, when I put this same problem into Microsoft mathematics it says r = .14 When I look at the solution steps it says something about how dividing by 2pi undoes the multiplication of 2pi... I guess I am missing something here.
Uh, basic arithmetic? When you learn how to divide, in the second or third grade, you should learn that division is the reverse of multiplication.

1. How do you find the angle in a right triangle given the hypotenuse and opposite side?

In order to find the angle in a right triangle, you will need to use the inverse trigonometric function, specifically the inverse sine function. The formula is sin(angle) = opposite/hypotenuse. You can then use a calculator to find the inverse sine of the ratio and get the angle in degrees.

2. Can you find the angle in a right triangle if you only know the hypotenuse and opposite side?

Yes, you can find the angle in a right triangle if you know the hypotenuse and opposite side. As mentioned before, you will need to use the inverse sine function to find the angle. The formula is sin(angle) = opposite/hypotenuse. You can then use a calculator to find the inverse sine of the ratio and get the angle in degrees.

3. What if the given hypotenuse and opposite side are not numbers?

If the given hypotenuse and opposite side are not numbers, it is not possible to find the angle in a right triangle. In order to use the inverse sine function, you will need to have numerical values for both the hypotenuse and opposite side.

4. Is the angle always acute in a right triangle?

No, the angle in a right triangle can be acute, right, or obtuse depending on the lengths of the sides. If the opposite side is shorter than the hypotenuse, the angle will be acute. If the opposite side is equal to the hypotenuse, the angle will be right. And if the opposite side is longer than the hypotenuse, the angle will be obtuse.

5. Can you use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the angle in a right triangle?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of the sides in a right triangle, not the angles. To find the angle, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.