1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple variable elimination

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From the equations:

[tex]h\nu - h\nu' = T= m_o c^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}-1)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{h\nu}{c}=\frac{h\nu'}{c}cos\theta+\frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}cos\phi[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{h\nu'}{c}sin\theta = \frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}sin\phi[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha=\frac{h\nu}{m_oc^2}[/tex]

(representing the energy and momentum conservation for Compton scattering, theta = photon scatter angle and phi = electron scatter angle)

Eliminate v and [tex]\theta[/tex] to obtain:

[tex]T=m_oc^2 \frac{2\alpha^2cos^2\phi}{1+2\alpha+\alpha^2sin^2\phi}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    See above

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem has been driving me insane. I know the physics of Compton scattering but when I try to eliminate the v and theta from these 3 equations I just get hopelessly lost in the math... I have about 5 pages of scribbles leading to nothing.

Desperate at this point, some math help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HInt: [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/itex]:wink:

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    I know that.... the problem is when I try to make theta disappear, I have to bring in a v. If I want to make v disappear, I bring in a theta. The only way that it seems to "work" gives me the following mess:

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}= \left( \frac{T}{mc^2}+1 \right) ^{-1}[/tex]
    [tex]v=c\sqrt{\left( 1-\left(\frac{T}{mc^2}+1 \right)^{-2} \right)}[/tex]
    [tex]cos\theta = \sqrt{1-\left(\frac{c}{h\nu'} \right)^2 \frac{(mv)^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} sin^2\phi}[/tex]

As you can imagine, taking v and substituting it into the cos equation makes for a disgusting mess that doesn't lead to anything very productive.

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see why you say this... just solve the equation

[tex]\frac{h\nu}{c}=\frac{h\nu'}{c}cos\theta+\frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}cos\phi[/tex]

for [itex]\frac{h\nu'}{c}\cos\theta[/itex], square both sides, and then square both sides of the equation

[tex]\frac{h\nu'}{c}sin\theta = \frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}sin\phi[/tex]

and add the two resulting equations together...

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5
    Ok so that gives me:

[tex]\left(\frac{h\nu'}{c}\right)^2=p_e^2-2p_ecos\phi\frac{h\nu}{c}+\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)^2[/tex]

where [tex]p_e=\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex] (for simplicity)

Not sure how to proceed... if I solve for p I have to use a quadratic eqn giving another big mess?

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The next step would be to eliminate [itex]\nu'[/itex] in favor of [itex]T[/itex] by using your first equation...

8. Nov 2, 2009 #7
    So:

[tex]\frac{(h\nu)^2-2Th\nu+T^2}{c^2}=p_e^2-2p_ecos\phi\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)+\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)^2[/tex]

My instinct says to solve for [tex](cp_e)^2[/tex] and then substitute that into energy conservation equation...

[tex]h\nu+mc^2=h\nu'+\sqrt{(mc^2)^2+(cp)^2}[/tex]

...but I'll still have a [tex]p_e[/tex] in there. Not sure if that's the right course of action...

9. Nov 2, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not solve the energy conservation equation

[tex]T+m_0c^2=\sqrt{(m_0c^2)^2+p_e^2c^2}[/tex]

for [itex]p_e[/itex] and then substitute that into

[tex]\frac{(h\nu)^2-2Th\nu+T^2}{c^2}=p_e^2-2p_ecos\phi\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)+\left(\frac {h\nu}{c}\right)^2[/tex]

10. Nov 2, 2009 #9
    so

[tex]c^2p_e^2=T^2+2Tmc^2[/tex]

After substituting...

[tex](h\nu)^2-2Th\nu=2Tmc^2-2h\nu\sqrt{T^2+2Tmc^2}cos\phi+\frac{(h\nu)^2}{c}[/tex]

And getting rid of the root gives me a massive equation with 12 terms on the right :S

11. Nov 2, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you still have a factor of [itex]1/c[/itex] in the last term?

12. Nov 2, 2009 #11
    My bad, the last one doesn't have 1/c.

Subbing in I get:

[tex]2h\nu cos\phi \sqrt{T^2+2Tmc^2}=2Tmc^2+2Th\nu[/tex]

I'll try to solve for T...

13. Nov 2, 2009 #12
    Awesome! FINALLY got it.

Thanks a million for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook