Compton Scattering: Simplifying Equations for Energy and Momentum Conservation

In summary, the math for this problem is incredibly confusing and it seems like there is no clear path to solving it. A math help would be much appreciated.
tramar

Homework Statement

From the equations:

[tex]h\nu - h\nu' = T= m_o c^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}-1)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{h\nu}{c}=\frac{h\nu'}{c}cos\theta+\frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}cos\phi[/tex]
[tex]\frac{h\nu'}{c}sin\theta = \frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}sin\phi[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\frac{h\nu}{m_oc^2}[/tex]

(representing the energy and momentum conservation for Compton scattering, theta = photon scatter angle and phi = electron scatter angle)

Eliminate v and [tex]\theta[/tex] to obtain:

[tex]T=m_oc^2 \frac{2\alpha^2cos^2\phi}{1+2\alpha+\alpha^2sin^2\phi}[/tex]

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has been driving me insane. I know the physics of Compton scattering but when I try to eliminate the v and theta from these 3 equations I just get hopelessly lost in the math... I have about 5 pages of scribbles leading to nothing.

Desperate at this point, some math help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
HInt: [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/itex]:wink:

I know that... the problem is when I try to make theta disappear, I have to bring in a v. If I want to make v disappear, I bring in a theta. The only way that it seems to "work" gives me the following mess:

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}= \left( \frac{T}{mc^2}+1 \right) ^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]v=c\sqrt{\left( 1-\left(\frac{T}{mc^2}+1 \right)^{-2} \right)}[/tex]
[tex]cos\theta = \sqrt{1-\left(\frac{c}{h\nu'} \right)^2 \frac{(mv)^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} sin^2\phi}[/tex]

As you can imagine, taking v and substituting it into the cos equation makes for a disgusting mess that doesn't lead to anything very productive.

tramar said:
I know that... the problem is when I try to make theta disappear, I have to bring in a v. .

I don't see why you say this... just solve the equation

[tex]\frac{h\nu}{c}=\frac{h\nu'}{c}cos\theta+\frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}cos\phi[/tex]

for [itex]\frac{h\nu'}{c}\cos\theta[/itex], square both sides, and then square both sides of the equation

[tex]\frac{h\nu'}{c}sin\theta = \frac{m_o v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}sin\phi[/tex]

and add the two resulting equations together...

Ok so that gives me:

[tex]\left(\frac{h\nu'}{c}\right)^2=p_e^2-2p_ecos\phi\frac{h\nu}{c}+\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)^2[/tex]

where [tex]p_e=\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex] (for simplicity)

Not sure how to proceed... if I solve for p I have to use a quadratic eqn giving another big mess?

The next step would be to eliminate [itex]\nu'[/itex] in favor of [itex]T[/itex] by using your first equation...

So:

[tex]\frac{(h\nu)^2-2Th\nu+T^2}{c^2}=p_e^2-2p_ecos\phi\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)+\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)^2[/tex]

My instinct says to solve for [tex](cp_e)^2[/tex] and then substitute that into energy conservation equation...

[tex]h\nu+mc^2=h\nu'+\sqrt{(mc^2)^2+(cp)^2}[/tex]

...but I'll still have a [tex]p_e[/tex] in there. Not sure if that's the right course of action...

Why not solve the energy conservation equation

[tex]T+m_0c^2=\sqrt{(m_0c^2)^2+p_e^2c^2}[/tex]

for [itex]p_e[/itex] and then substitute that into

[tex]\frac{(h\nu)^2-2Th\nu+T^2}{c^2}=p_e^2-2p_ecos\phi\left(\frac{h\nu}{c}\right)+\left(\frac {h\nu}{c}\right)^2[/tex]

so

[tex]c^2p_e^2=T^2+2Tmc^2[/tex]

After substituting...

[tex](h\nu)^2-2Th\nu=2Tmc^2-2h\nu\sqrt{T^2+2Tmc^2}cos\phi+\frac{(h\nu)^2}{c}[/tex]

And getting rid of the root gives me a massive equation with 12 terms on the right :S

Why do you still have a factor of [itex]1/c[/itex] in the last term?

My bad, the last one doesn't have 1/c.

Subbing in I get:

[tex]2h\nu cos\phi \sqrt{T^2+2Tmc^2}=2Tmc^2+2Th\nu[/tex]

I'll try to solve for T...

Awesome! FINALLY got it.

Thanks a million for your help!

What is simple variable elimination?

Simple variable elimination is a process used in scientific research and data analysis to identify the most important variables and eliminate less relevant ones. It involves systematically removing one variable at a time and observing the changes in the results to determine its impact.

How is simple variable elimination helpful in scientific research?

Simple variable elimination helps researchers to identify the key factors that influence a particular phenomenon or outcome. By eliminating irrelevant variables, it allows for a more accurate understanding of the relationships between variables and can lead to more reliable conclusions.

What are the steps involved in simple variable elimination?

The first step is to identify all the variables that may potentially affect the outcome. Then, one variable is removed and the results are observed. This process is repeated until all variables have been eliminated and the remaining variables are considered the most important.

What are the limitations of simple variable elimination?

Simple variable elimination can only identify the most important variables based on the data available. It cannot account for potential interactions between variables or consider variables that were not included in the analysis. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of data or research questions.

How can simple variable elimination be used in real-world applications?

Simple variable elimination can be used in a variety of fields, such as medicine, psychology, and economics, to identify the key factors that affect a particular outcome. It can help in making informed decisions, developing effective interventions, and improving predictive models.