Simple Vector Diagram, Help with Unclear Wording

In summary, the student is a correspondence student taking grade 12 physics and is finding the material simple so far. They are required to send in small packages of work periodically but are unsure about one question that asks them to draw a vector diagram. They are confused about the direction of the second vector and are not sure if they should use the first direction as a frame of reference or not. They have provided their interpretation of "E 25degrees S" and have asked for clarification. They are a first-time physics student and do not have a teacher to ask for help.
Gibson29
Hello,

Ill keep this as brief as possible.

I am a student taking grade 12 physics through correspondence. I have just started this week, and am finding the material very simple so far (1-d kinematics).

Periodically, I need to send in small packages of work which I have done. There are very few problems which will actually be evaluated, so obviously I want to make sure I am doing them correctly.

They gave me this question asking me to draw a vector diagram. I have no trouble with any of the terminology, or at being unclear as to what exactly it is I need to do. My problem comes with the wording which tells me the direction of my second vector. I wouldn't waste anyone's time here with such a simple problem, but being a correspondence student, I don't have a teacher whom I can ask for simple clarification. Ill just type the problem exactly as it is in my book:

"In a total time of 2.0 min, a duck on a pond paddles 22m [36degrees N of E], and then paddles another 65m [E 25degrees S]."

That [E 25degrees S] is really confusing me. The first direction was extremely clear, but for the second, I had no idea if I should be using the direction E as my frame of reference and have the vector going 25 degree south of that, or vice versa, or if I should be using my starting point as a frame of reference for all my vectors.

I *think* my diagram is correct, it would just be stupid to lose valuable marks on the one vector diagram I need to have evaluated due to poor wording. (Or more likely just me being poorly informed.)

As I said, this is the first week I'm working on this, I've never been in a physics course before, and I have no teacher to clarify this ridiculously simple question.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Gibson29 said:
That [E 25degrees S] is really confusing me. The first direction was extremely clear, but for the second, I had no idea if I should be using the direction E as my frame of reference and have the vector going 25 degree south of that, or vice versa,
I interpret "E 25degrees S" as 25 degrees South of East. (Start out facing East, then turn 25 degrees South.)

If you are unsure what is meant, give solutions for both interpretations.

1. What is a simple vector diagram?

A simple vector diagram is a visual representation of a vector, which is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It typically consists of a line or arrow representing the vector's direction and length representing its magnitude.

2. How do I create a simple vector diagram?

To create a simple vector diagram, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector you want to represent. Use a ruler to draw a line or arrow in the specified direction and length to represent the vector. You can also use a vector drawing software or app for more precise and professional-looking diagrams.

3. What is the purpose of a simple vector diagram?

A simple vector diagram is used to visually represent a vector and its components, making it easier to understand and analyze. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems and communicate concepts.

4. What is the difference between a simple vector diagram and a complex vector diagram?

A simple vector diagram represents a single vector, while a complex vector diagram represents multiple vectors and their interactions. Simple vector diagrams are typically used for basic vector operations, while complex vector diagrams are used for more advanced calculations and analyses.

5. How can I improve unclear wording in a vector diagram?

To improve unclear wording in a vector diagram, you can label the vector's direction and magnitude, use clear and concise language, and provide additional explanations or examples if needed. It is also helpful to have someone else review the diagram to ensure it is easy to understand.