Simple yet confusing situation. Integral.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of u-substitution in integration when dealing with expressions that cannot be solved conventionally. It also addresses the issue of using u-substitution with equal yet opposite bounds and the importance of paying attention to signs when applying transformations to both domains. The speaker also expresses their curiosity about the implications of this concept in mathematics.
Robokapp
Okay. basic concept. U-substitution. For an integral of an expressino that you can't "guess" or find by conventional means you use a u-substitution. To integrate correctly if you have bounds you either rewrite the finction with x after integration or you convert the bounds by plugging them back in. I'm sure you knew all this...i only try to expalin why i think about this.

Let's say we integrate y=x^2 from -1 to 1
Pretty simple...(1/3)x^3 and insert the bounds.
however...something that i encountered in a homeowrk made me wonder...what if i use a u-substitution on this fudging thing with equal yet opposite bounds?

So...i tried to integrate using the follwoing: u= x^2

so u=x^2
du/dx=2x
du=2x dx
dx= du / 2x
and since u=x^2 => x= sqrt (u)
so dx = du / 2 sqrt (u)

now my integral is int( u / 2 sqrt (u) * du)and by plugging in my bounds, it is defined from 1 to 1.
here's the problem...ignoring the whole pointless substitution and everything, my bounds are from 1 to 1! that gives me an answer of zero. but why? The answer is not zero. The crappy thing is perfectly continuous from 1 to 1...how could it not be so what's wrong? did i find a hole in the u-substitution?

---

if you have no idea what i just said...my question is what do you do when math causes because of your u-substitution for your boundaries to become the exact same thing? it's not homework...it's just a curiosity.

thank you for your time. i know I'm writing ponitless stuff.

~Robokapp

Physics news on Phys.org
You're being sloppy. Your transformation maps the negative reals onto the positive reals so you need to apply transformations to both domains by splitting the integral into two parts and paying close attention to the signs in each of them.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It is used to calculate the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a range of values.

2. How is an integral different from a derivative?

An integral is the inverse operation of a derivative. While a derivative calculates the rate of change at a specific point, an integral calculates the total change over a range of values.

3. Why is the concept of an integral confusing?

The concept of an integral can be confusing because it involves several mathematical concepts such as limits, summation, and functions. Additionally, the notation and different methods of integration can be overwhelming for some.

4. What are some real-life applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the distance traveled by an object, the work done by a force, and the total profit of a business, among others.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integrals?

To improve your understanding of integrals, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of integrals and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.