Can a Sequence be Simplified Using Exponent Rules?

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the x's in the equation 2^n+2\sum_{a=2}^n a2^{n-a} are supposed to be *, as in 2x2 is supposed to be 2*2. However, when I tried to simplify the sequence by substituting n for 6 and entering the equation into a calculator, it gave me incorrect results. I think it is correct when the equation gives the values for the x's in the sequence, as long as those values are 2*2, 2*4, 2*6, 2*8, 2*10, and 2*12.
nobahar
Hi guys,
the x's are supposed to be *, as in 2x2 is supposed to be 2*2, it won't listen to me.
I was wondering if it is possible to simplify this sequence:

[tex]1)2[/tex]

[tex]2)2^2 +4[/tex]

[tex]3)2^3 +(2 * 4) + 6[/tex]

[tex]4)2^4 + (2^2 * 4) + (2 * 6) +8[/tex]

[tex]5)2^5 + (2^3 * 4) + (2^2 * 6) + (2 * 8) + 10[/tex]

[tex]6)2^6 + (2^4 * 4) + (2^3 * 6) + (2^2 * 8) + (2 * 10) + 12[/tex]

I've made a few attempts but there are not satisfactory:
[tex]2^n + 2^n-2 * (n-(n-2))+2^n-3 * (n-(n-4))+...+2^2 * (2n-2) + 2^0 * 2n[/tex]
Any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty easy to do if you're able to use functions like max().

- Warren

Yeah, my attempt in Latex code didn't look how it was supposed to, I'm not particularly good with Latex. Thanks for the advice, I'll go look up Max().

The only maximum function my maths textbook gives me is for trig and for calculus. Maximum values in trig don't apply here, and I can't see the application of the maximum in calculus here either. Any further advice, hints, or tips?

nobahar said:
Hi guys,
the x's are supposed to be *, as in 2x2 is supposed to be 2*2, it won't listen to me.
I was wondering if it is possible to simplify this sequence:

[tex]1)2[/tex]

[tex]2)2^2 +4[/tex]

[tex]3)2^3 +(2 * 4) + 6[/tex]

[tex]4)2^4 + (2^2 * 4) + (2 * 6) +8[/tex]

[tex]5)2^5 + (2^3 * 4) + (2^2 * 6) + (2 * 8) + 10[/tex]

[tex]6)2^6 + (2^4 * 4) + (2^3 * 6) + (2^2 * 8) + (2 * 10) + 12[/tex]

I've made a few attempts but there are not satisfactory:
[tex]2^n + 2^n-2 * (n-(n-2))+2^n-3 * (n-(n-4))+...+2^2 * (2n-2) + 2^0 * 2n[/tex]
Any help appreciated

It looks like you're on the right track. The nth term of your sequence will have n terms in it, with the first term being 2^n. The other n - 1 terms seem to follow their own pattern.

In each of the remaining n - 1 terms, you have the product of 2 to some power and twice a number. The exponent on 2 starts at n - 2 and works its way down to 0. The "twice a number" factor starts at 2*2 and works its way up to 2*n.

Does that help?

Thanks so much for your help Mark.
Okay, I think this is right, after some further simplification:
[tex]2^n+2\sum_{a=2}^n a2^{n-a}[/tex]

Last edited:
Can I assume that this is what you're looking for? Your comment about being stuck at n = 6 made me unsure.

Sorry, the equation I posted with 'n' is the one I wanted. Previously I entered 6 in it's place accidently (I was reading it from my working and used one where I subtituted n with 6 to test the equation) and when I edited the Latex in the post it didn't change from 6 to n (I assumed there would be a delay of 24 hours or soemthing), but it has now. If that makes sense!
But yes, the equation, as it appears above (with 'n'), is it correct?

It looks like what I described. If your formula gives you the right values for the numbers in your sequence, I think all is good!

Thanks Mark: I tried it with two (an exhaustive test), and it appears to work. It is certainly simplified! Thankyou.

FAQ: Can a Sequence be Simplified Using Exponent Rules?

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule.

Why is it important to simplify a sequence?

Simplifying a sequence allows for easier analysis and understanding of the pattern or rule that it follows. It also helps to identify any underlying relationships between the numbers or objects in the sequence.

What are some methods for simplifying a sequence?

There are several methods for simplifying a sequence, including finding a common difference or ratio, grouping terms, and using algebraic expressions.

Can all sequences be simplified?

No, not all sequences can be simplified. Some sequences may have complex patterns or rules that cannot be easily identified or simplified.

How can simplifying a sequence be useful in real life?

Simplifying a sequence can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, science, and engineering. It can help in predicting future values, analyzing data trends, and solving real-world problems.

Back