Simplify Complex Rational Expression

In summary, the given expression simplifies to $\frac{-x+14}{7}$ and the book's answer is incorrect. It's worth noting that there is a restriction on the domain: $|x| \neq 2$.
PaperStSoap
(3/x-2) - (4/x+2) / (7/x2-4)

I got it down to...

-x+14/7

but the book is showing

x-14/7

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to MHB, Paper! :D

Which of these expressions did you mean:

$$\frac{3}{x-2} - \frac{ \frac{4}{x+2} }{ \frac{7}{x^2 -4} } \quad \text{ or } \quad \frac{ \frac{3}{x-2} - \frac{4}{x+2} }{ \frac{7}{x^2 -4} }?$$

Hello, PaperStSoap!

[tex]\dfrac{\dfrac{3}{x-2} - \dfrac{4}{x+2}}{\dfrac{7}{x^2-4}}[/tex]

I got it down to: .$\dfrac{-x+14}{7}$ . You are right!

But the book is showing: .$\dfrac{x-14}{7}$ . The book is wrong!

Fantini said:
Welcome to MHB, Paper! :D

Which of these expressions did you mean:

$$\frac{3}{x-2} - \frac{ \frac{4}{x+2} }{ \frac{7}{x^2 -4} } \quad \text{ or } \quad \frac{ \frac{3}{x-2} - \frac{4}{x+2} }{ \frac{7}{x^2 -4} }?$$

My apologies, the problem was the second one.

PaperStSoap said:
My apologies, the problem was the second one.

You are right and the book is wrong. It's worth mentioning though that there is a restriction on the domain: $|x| \neq 2$.

(working in spoiler)
$\dfrac{\frac{3}{x-2} - \frac{4}{x+2}}{\frac{7}{x^2-4}}$

$\left(\frac{3}{x-2} - \frac{4}{x+2}\right) \cdot \frac{(x-2)(x+2)}{7}$

$\left(\frac{3(x+2)-4(x-2)}{(x-2)(x+2)}\right) \cdot \frac{(x-2)(x+2)}{7}$

$\frac{3x+6-4x+8}{7}$

$\frac{-x+14}{7}$

Related to Simplify Complex Rational Expression

1. What is a complex rational expression?

A complex rational expression is an algebraic expression that contains fractions and/or variables in the numerator and/or denominator. It may also have exponents, roots, and other algebraic operations.

2. How do you simplify a complex rational expression?

To simplify a complex rational expression, you need to factor both the numerator and the denominator and then cancel out any common factors. This will reduce the expression to its simplest form.

3. Can all complex rational expressions be simplified?

No, not all complex rational expressions can be simplified. Some may already be in their simplest form, while others may have terms that cannot be factored or cancelled out.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when simplifying complex rational expressions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying complex rational expressions include forgetting to factor completely, cancelling out terms incorrectly, and making arithmetic errors.

5. Why is it important to simplify complex rational expressions?

Simplifying complex rational expressions can make them easier to work with and understand. It can also help in solving equations and identifying patterns in mathematical problems.