How can I simplify this expression using factoring?

In summary, the given expression can be simplified by grouping terms and using the identity (a-b)^2 = (a+b)(a-b). This method may help in solving the problem.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

Show
2a^2*b^2*c^2 + (a+c)^2*(a+b)^2*(b+c)^2 - a^2*c^2(a+c)^2 - (a+b)^2 * a^2 * b^2 - (b+c)^2*b^2*c^2 = 2abc(a+b+c)^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I actually tried to expand all of the exponential terms but that ended up being a total mess and wasn't even remotely obvious... My professor said using something like (a-b)^2 = (a+b)(a-b) would help, but I don't quite see how that would help.. can anyone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
ya only tried once? I find that I need to work through complicated expressions multiple times. Don't give up keep after it. You may want to show us some of your work. If you do pleas go to the tutorials forum and read the latex thread.

Try it in parts. When I solve problems that look like a mess I'll draw lines down a paper and group it by addition/subtractions. That way you're just dealing with each part individually.

[itex]
\underbrace{2a^2*b^2*c^2}_{First} + \underbrace{(a+c)^2*(a+b)^2*(b+c)^2}_{Second} - \underbrace{a^2*c^2(a+c)^2}_{Third} - \underbrace{(a+b)^2 * a^2 * b^2}_{Fourth} - \underbrace{(b+c)^2*b^2*c^2}_{Fifth} &=& \underbrace{2abc(a+b+c)^3}_{Sixth}
[/itex]

Now that you've grouped off your terms. Expand these out, simplify. The solution may become obvious (or at least easier) to find. When you're done, you may be left with something as simple as a quadratic, but don't quote me on that. I've not done the problem myself.

Last edited:

FAQ: How can I simplify this expression using factoring?

1. What does it mean to "simplify an expression"?

Simplifying an expression means to reduce it to its most basic form by combining like terms, removing parentheses, and reducing fractions.

2. How do I know when an expression is simplified?

An expression is considered simplified when it cannot be reduced any further and contains only a single term with no parentheses or fractions.

3. What are the steps for simplifying an expression?

The steps for simplifying an expression are:1. Combine like terms2. Remove parentheses using the distributive property3. Combine any resulting like terms4. Reduce any fractions by finding the lowest common denominator5. Simplify any resulting terms by combining like terms once again

4. Can I simplify an expression with variables?

Yes, expressions with variables can also be simplified using the same steps as mentioned above. Just make sure to keep the variables in their correct places while combining like terms.

5. Why is it important to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression makes it easier to understand and work with. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different expressions, which can be helpful in solving more complex problems.

Back