1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying an expression

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show
    2a^2*b^2*c^2 + (a+c)^2*(a+b)^2*(b+c)^2 - a^2*c^2(a+c)^2 - (a+b)^2 * a^2 * b^2 - (b+c)^2*b^2*c^2 = 2abc(a+b+c)^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I actually tried to expand all of the exponential terms but that ended up being a total mess and wasn't even remotely obvious... My professor said using something like (a-b)^2 = (a+b)(a-b) would help, but I don't quite see how that would help.. can anyone give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ya only tried once? I find that I need to work through complicated expressions multiple times. Don't give up keep after it. You may want to show us some of your work. If you do pleas go to the tutorials forum and read the latex thread.

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    Try it in parts. When I solve problems that look like a mess I'll draw lines down a paper and group it by addition/subtractions. That way you're just dealing with each part individually.

[itex]
    \underbrace{2a^2*b^2*c^2}_{First} + \underbrace{(a+c)^2*(a+b)^2*(b+c)^2}_{Second} - \underbrace{a^2*c^2(a+c)^2}_{Third} - \underbrace{(a+b)^2 * a^2 * b^2}_{Fourth} - \underbrace{(b+c)^2*b^2*c^2}_{Fifth} &=& \underbrace{2abc(a+b+c)^3}_{Sixth}
    [/itex]

Now that you've grouped off your terms. Expand these out, simplify. The solution may become obvious (or at least easier) to find. When you're done, you may be left with something as simple as a quadratic, but don't quote me on that. I've not done the problem myself.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?