Why does the sinc function approach zero as the argument approaches infinity?

In summary, the function sin(vx)/x approaches a delta function as v gets larger. However, it is not correct to say that the function becomes zero for non-zero values of x. Rather, the appropriate way to interpret the limit is through integration, where the function approaches zero for non-zero values of x and approaches the value at the origin (f(0)) for x=0. This can be seen in the definition of the sinc function, where the integral over the entire real line is equal to 1.
McLaren Rulez
Consider [itex]sin(vx)/x[/itex] as [itex]v[/itex] approaches infinity. Now, this becomes a delta function and I have seen graphs that show this function as v increases.

My question is the following: I cannot quite see why the function [itex]sin(vx)/x[/itex] becomes zero if x≠0. sin(vx) is bounded and oscillates rapidly between -1 and 1 as x is changed. But the envelope of the function is still 1/x so how come it goes to zero for all x≠0? Can someone prove this result?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you're talking about sin(1/x) not, (sinx)/x

Edit: Actually re-reading your post, I realize I have no idea what you're asking.sinx/x is in no way related to the delta function, and does not oscillate between anything, it's just a normal sinx that diminishes as you approach infinity.
Sin(1/x) however does oscillate in a divergent manner as you approach 0, the limit is quite strange and nothing is quite like it.

No, it is sin(vx)/x. As v gets larger, it approximates a delta function better. Now, with v→∞, I cannot see why the function is zero if x is non zero.

A similar definition is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_function where there is a section on how it relates to the dirac delta function.

Last edited:
The proper way to show that

[tex]\lim_{v \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sin(vx)}{x} = \delta(x)[/tex]

is not to try and show that the left hand side is infinite when x = 0 and zero for non-zero x. That might be true of some representations of the delta function, but really what you need to show is that

[tex]\lim_{v\rightarrow \infty} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~\frac{\sin(vx)}{x} f(x) = f(0).[/tex]

Similarly you can show that if the integration region does not contain the origin, the integral is zero.

That is the appropriate sense in which one should interpret "[itex]\lim_{v \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sin(vx)}{x} = \delta(x)[/itex]".

Thank you Mute. Didn't know that before but yeah, I can prove it according to your definition so I guess it's all good.

1. What is the definition of a sinc function?

A sinc function, denoted as sinc(x), is a mathematical function defined as sin(x)/x, where x is the input argument. It is a periodic function that oscillates around the value of 1 at x = 0 and approaches 0 as x gets larger or smaller.

2. What is the limit of a sinc function as x approaches 0?

The limit of a sinc function as x approaches 0 is 1. This can be seen from the definition of the sinc function, where sin(0) = 0 and x = 0, resulting in a value of 1.

3. How is the sinc function used in signal processing?

The sinc function is commonly used in signal processing as a low-pass filter. It is used to filter out high-frequency components of a signal, leaving only the low-frequency components. The sinc function is also used in interpolation and sampling of signals.

4. Is the sinc function continuous?

Yes, the sinc function is continuous everywhere except at x = 0, where it has a removable discontinuity. This means that the function can be made continuous at x = 0 by defining its value to be equal to 1 at that point.

5. Can the sinc function be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the sinc function can be extended to complex numbers using the formula sinc(z) = sin(z)/z, where z is a complex number. This extension is often used in the field of complex analysis and has applications in areas such as Fourier transforms and differential equations.