Sine wave with variable frequency

In summary: When I plot sin(2*pi*(-10*exp(-2t)+4t)), I get exactly what I want/expected.But... elibj123, how did you get to this: -10*exp(-2t)+4t ?When I calculate [f(x)*x]' I get something else, namely: -40\,x\,{e}^{-2\,x}+20\,{e}^{-
kvtb
I'm trying to do something very simple...
I'd like to have a sine function, where the frequency is controlled by a separate frequency function

Something like this:

g(t) = sin(2*pi*f(t)*t)

Assume that
f(t) = 20*exp(-2*t)+4

I would expect a sine wave that starts at 24 Hz and then slowly slows down to 4 Hz.
But when I plot it, I get some strange results for t in [0.5, 2], see attached image. The frequency for those values is very low. How's that possible? Is it my plotting program that acts funny? How can I get the expected (described) behaviour?

attachment.php?attachmentid=23717&stc=1&d=1266270324.png

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• weird-sine.png
    weird-sine.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 2,041
Physics news on Phys.org
does your program think that the angle your inputing into your Sin function is in Radians, or degrees?

I haven't done this myself yet but I suspect when you expand from exp to trig form you'll find you have a beat.

20*exp(-2*t) is about 4 around t=0.8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics )

Last edited by a moderator:
This is weird. Do you still get this effect if you zoom the plot to 0.5<x<2?

flatmaster said:
does your program think that the angle your inputing into your Sin function is in Radians, or degrees?
It looks like the software (mathcad?) is correctly interpreting the sine argument as radians, as evidenced by the 4 Hz oscillation for x>2.5.

es1 said:
I haven't done this myself yet but I suspect when you expand from exp to trig form you'll find you have a beat.

20*exp(-2*t) is about 4 around t=0.8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics )
This does not look like beating, the amplitude stays constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I plotted this function in Excel, and get the same plot! I'm looking more closely at this, stay tuned.

Perhaps using the same x in the f(x) expression and Sin expression is confusing. I would try to explicitly plug in your exponential f(x) into one long expression as a function of x only. Don't forget brackets around your f(x) expression so it distributes correctly.

Okay, I have figured it out.

Generally, we have
y = sin[θ(t)]​
I.e., the argument of the sine can be thought of as a time-dependent phase angle.

The angular frequency is
ω = dθ/dt​
Differentiate the sine argument in the OP, and one finds
ω 2π f(t)​

I am not sure I follow RedBelly98. I think you need an explanation for why the frequency is lower than 4 in the range 0.5 to 1.5. I think the only explanation is there must be positive interference between the two frequencies, which would be a beat. But I could be wrong.

I think you can expand:

Sin(2pi(20Exp(-2t)+4)t) = 2Cos(pi(20Exp(-2t)t+pi4t)Sin(pi(20Exp(-2t)t+pi4t) = 2Cos( (f1-f2)/2 t)Sin( (f1+f2)/2 t)

Then solve for f1 and f2 (assuming there is a solution which is why I could be wrong).

I suspect it's right because 20Exp(-2t) is about 4 near 1 so one would expect the beat frequency to be very low around this number which is also what we observe in the plot.

It's not in the range -2,2 like in the wikipedia article because the original function was wrapped in a sine which scaled it to the range -1,1.

Last edited:
Also, it seems the amplitude is not necessarily constant.
Try altering the function slightly,
Sin(2pi(40Exp(-2t)+4)t)
this amplitude is definitely not constant.
Darn, I might have to find some time to try to solve this one... :)

What RedBelly was saying is that the extension from constant to varying frequency is not done by multiplication but differentiation.

Just like the differential slope of a curve A(t)*t is not A(t) but [A(t)*t]' (I wrote the function in this form to deliver the point)

The "differential frequency" of a sine wave, is the derivative of its argument rather than the coefficient of t.

Try plotting the function sin(-10*exp(-2t)+4t) and check if it gets you the desired result.

es1 said:
I am not sure I follow RedBelly98.
Okay. Suppose we have a spinning object, and we are given it's orientation θ as a function of time, not necessarily a linear function. How would you determine the rotation rate, ω?
I think you need an explanation for why the frequency is lower than 4 in the range 0.5 to 1.5.
You differentiate the sine argument in the OP,
2π*[20*exp(-2*t)+4]*t​
and find that the result is less than 2π*4 rad/s, or 4 Hz, over some range.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Very interesting discussion.

When I plot sin(2*pi*(-10*exp(-2t)+4t)), I get exactly what I want/expected.

But... elibj123, how did you get to this: -10*exp(-2t)+4t ?
When I calculate [f(x)*x]' I get something else, namely:
[tex]-40\,x\,{e}^{-2\,x}+20\,{e}^{-2\,x}+4[/tex]

edit: aaah, it is the antiderivative of f(x)! :-)

Ok. I get the phase and phase velocity argument. That makes a lot of sense.

When I take the derivative I find that the min frequency is at t=1 and the phase velocity is ~1.3 which matches the plot very nicely.

Thanks.

1. What is a sine wave with variable frequency?

A sine wave with variable frequency is a type of periodic waveform that oscillates between a maximum and minimum value, with the frequency of the wave changing over time.

2. How is the frequency of a sine wave with variable frequency determined?

The frequency of a sine wave with variable frequency is determined by the rate at which the wave repeats itself over a given time period. This can be measured in Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a sine wave with variable frequency?

The frequency and wavelength of a sine wave with variable frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

4. What are some real-life applications of sine waves with variable frequency?

Sine waves with variable frequency are commonly used in telecommunications, audio equipment, and electrical power systems. They are also utilized in scientific research, such as in the study of sound and vibration.

5. How is the amplitude affected by changes in frequency in a sine wave with variable frequency?

The amplitude of a sine wave with variable frequency is not affected by changes in frequency. The amplitude remains constant while the frequency changes, resulting in a change in the wave's pitch and not its height.