Single Effect Evaporator Calculation

In summary, the calculated vapor flow rate is 0.8066 kg/s and the required surface area for a single effect evaporator is 38.55 m2.
Starlord01
Hi All.
Please can someone help?

I have a question regarding calculating heat load and required surface area for a single effect evaporator.

Details:
Solution Feed rate 1.1kg s-1
Solution feed concentration 8%, concentrated to 30%
Feed solution at 60 degrees Celsius with Specific Heat Capacity of 4.2kJ kg-1 K-1
Boiling point elevation of 30 degrees Celsius

Heating steam is provided at 1.4bar and separator pressure is 0.1 bar
Condensate collected at rate of 1kg s-1 (assumed to be at condensing temp)
Overall heat coefficient 3000W m-2 K-1

Calculate:

Vapour flowrate:

w c₁ = (w - W) c₂

w = solution feed rate kg s-1 1.1
c₁ = feed concentration kg solute per kg solution 0.08
W = Vapour flow rate kg s-1
c₂ = product concentration kg solute per kg solution 0.30

1.1 x 0.08 = (1.1 - W) 0.30

W = 1.1 - (1.1 x 0.8)

W = 0.8066 kg s-1Product flow rate:

w - W = Product flow rate

1.1 - 0.8066 = 0.2934 kg s-1

Product flow rate = 0.2934 kg s-1These I am confident with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Below I am unsure of.
Guessing I am wrong though but would require some explanation as to where I am going wrong please:

Calculate

Required Heat Surface Area:

Using Q = U A ΔT

Q = Heat Load
U = Overall heat transfer coefficient 3000W m-2 K-1
A = Heat Transfer Area
ΔT = temp difference between steam and solution 109.3 - 90 = 19.3 degrees CA = Q
U ΔT

Q = m x hfg
where m = mass of steam condensed 1kg s-1
hfg = latent heat of vaporisation 2232kJ Kg-1

Q = 2232000W

so

A = 2232000
3000 x 19.3

A = 38.55m2Something does not seem right here?

THIS HOMEWORK WAS POSTED IN ANOTHER FORUM, SO NO TEMPLATE
It goes on to request evaporator economy

Economy = Vapour product
steam supplied

=0.2934

= 0.2934

Again, appears suspect?Other parts require to calculate heat required to raise the feed to boiling temp - I have attempted this but don't have the workings to hand

And available heat for evaporation and hence evaporation rate expected (I think this would be far easier if my previous sections were correct)Please help asap.
I have atleast tried and am not asking for the actual answers but a clear demonstration and explanation to clarify where I am wrong

Thanks in advance

This is a homework problem, correct?

Yes it is

Starlord01 said:
Hi All.
Please can someone help?

I have a question regarding calculating heat load and required surface area for a single effect evaporator.

Details:
Solution Feed rate 1.1kg s-1
Solution feed concentration 8%, concentrated to 30%
Feed solution at 60 degrees Celsius with Specific Heat Capacity of 4.2kJ kg-1 K-1
Boiling point elevation of 30 degrees Celsius

Heating steam is provided at 1.4bar and separator pressure is 0.1 bar
Condensate collected at rate of 1kg s-1 (assumed to be at condensing temp)
Overall heat coefficient 3000W m-2 K-1

Calculate:

Vapour flowrate:

w c₁ = (w - W) c₂

w = solution feed rate kg s-1 1.1
c₁ = feed concentration kg solute per kg solution 0.08
W = Vapour flow rate kg s-1
c₂ = product concentration kg solute per kg solution 0.30

1.1 x 0.08 = (1.1 - W) 0.30

W = 1.1 - (1.1 x 0.8)

W = 0.8066 kg s-1Product flow rate:

w - W = Product flow rate

1.1 - 0.8066 = 0.2934 kg s-1

Product flow rate = 0.2934 kg s-1These I am confident with.
I'm wondering why you just didn't write Product Flow Rate = (1.1)(0.08)/0.3=0.2933

What was their point in providing a boiling point elevation of 30 C?

Last edited by a moderator:
Starlord01 said:
Below I am unsure of.
Guessing I am wrong though but would require some explanation as to where I am going wrong please:

Calculate

Required Heat Surface Area:

Using Q = U A ΔT

Q = Heat Load
U = Overall heat transfer coefficient 3000W m-2 K-1
A = Heat Transfer Area
ΔT = temp difference between steam and solution 109.3 - 90 = 19.3 degrees C

I see where you got the 109.3 C, but where did you get the 90 C? The problem statement indicates that the separator pressure is 0.1 bar. Isn't that the same thing as the evaporator pressure.

Thanks for the input.
Boiling point elevation occurs as the solution concentrates.
When the solution approaches 30% NaOH, the boiling point rises by 30degrees C requiring an evaporator temperature of 90degrees C.
Delta T is the difference between steam temp and evaporator solution temp.

Or this was my understanding?

Chestermiller said:
I'm wondering why you just didn't write Product Flow Rate = (1.1)(0.08)/0.3=0.2933

My route just seemed more logical/easier in my own mind - personal preference I guess?

Starlord01 said:
Thanks for the input.
Boiling point elevation occurs as the solution concentrates.
When the solution approaches 30% NaOH, the boiling point rises by 30degrees C requiring an evaporator temperature of 90degrees C.
Delta T is the difference between steam temp and evaporator solution temp.

Or this was my understanding?
It isn't clear to me how this particular evaporator is operated. Can you supply a diagram? Is the vapor from the evaporator heated to provide the steam?

The boiling point elevation BPE is equal to the concentrated liquid temperature in the evaporator minus the vapor temperature. At 0.1 bar pressure for the vapor, the vapor temperature is 45.8 C. So the concentrated liquid temperature is 75.8 C, not 90 C.

1. What is a single effect evaporator?

A single effect evaporator is a type of evaporator that uses only one stage of evaporation to concentrate a solution. It is commonly used in industries such as food processing, pharmaceuticals, and chemical production.

2. How is the capacity of a single effect evaporator calculated?

The capacity of a single effect evaporator is calculated by multiplying the feed rate of the liquid by the difference between the feed and vapor temperatures, divided by the heat transfer coefficient. This can be expressed as Q=UAΔT, where Q is the evaporation rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the heat transfer surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the feed and vapor.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a single effect evaporator?

The efficiency of a single effect evaporator can be affected by various factors, including the feed rate and temperature, heat transfer surface area, heat transfer coefficient, and vapor pressure. Other factors such as the physical properties of the solution, boiling point elevation, and fouling also play a role in the efficiency of the evaporator.

4. How do you determine the number of heating tubes needed for a single effect evaporator?

The number of heating tubes needed for a single effect evaporator can be determined by dividing the desired evaporation rate by the heat transfer rate per tube. This value can then be used to calculate the total heat transfer surface area required for the evaporator, which can then be divided by the average surface area per tube to determine the total number of tubes needed.

5. What are some common applications for single effect evaporators?

Single effect evaporators are commonly used in industries where the concentration of a solution is required, such as in the production of dairy products, fruit juices, and pharmaceuticals. They are also used in wastewater treatment plants to remove excess water and concentrate the remaining solids. Additionally, single effect evaporators are used in desalination plants to produce freshwater from seawater.