Single Mode Thermal Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between the expectation value of ##\hat a^\dagger \hat a## and the prediction from statistical mechanics for the state $$\hat \rho = \sum_n \frac{\bar n^n}{(1 + \bar n)^{n+1}} |n\rangle \langle n|$$ The attempt at a solution involves using the formula ##\bar n = \frac{1}{e^{\beta \hbar \omega} -1}## and computing ##\langle \hat a^\dagger \hat a \rangle## through the formula $$\langle\hat n\rangle = Tr(\rho \hat n)$$. After simplifying, it is found that the
BOAS

Homework Statement

I am having trouble connecting the expectation value of ##\hat a^\dagger \hat a## to the prediction from statistical mechanics for the state $$\hat \rho = \sum_n \frac{\bar n^n}{(1 + \bar n)^{n+1}} |n\rangle \langle n|$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
from statistical mechanics, we have that ##\bar n = \frac{1}{e^{\beta \hbar \omega} -1}## and so I try to compute this by taking ##\langle \hat a^\dagger \hat a \rangle##.

$$\langle\hat n\rangle = Tr(\rho \hat n)$$

$$\langle \hat n \rangle = Tr(\sum_n \frac{\bar n^n}{(1 + \bar n)^{n+1}} |n\rangle \langle n| \hat n)$$

$$\langle \hat n \rangle = \sum_n \frac{\bar n^n}{(1 + \bar n)^{n+1}}\langle n| \hat n |n\rangle$$

$$\langle \hat n \rangle = \sum_n \frac{n \bar n^n}{(1 + \bar n)^{n+1}}$$

I am unsure of where to go from here, or if I am approaching this in the correct manner.

Am I supposed to be able to evaluate this sum?

Edit - So I typed this into mathematica and found that the sum does indeed converge to ##\bar n##. I suppose my question is really, how should I go about evaluating this sum?

Thank you for any help you can give

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This thread can be closed, I have solved it.

1. What is a single mode thermal field?

A single mode thermal field is a type of radiation field in which only one mode, or specific wavelength, is present. This means that the energy of the field is concentrated in a single frequency, and all other frequencies are negligible.

2. How is a single mode thermal field different from a multi-mode thermal field?

A multi-mode thermal field contains multiple modes, or wavelengths, of radiation. This means that the energy of the field is spread out over a range of frequencies, rather than being concentrated in one specific frequency.

3. What are the properties of a single mode thermal field?

A single mode thermal field has a well-defined frequency, with all other frequencies having negligible energy. It also follows the principles of thermal equilibrium, meaning that it has a temperature and obeys the laws of thermodynamics.

4. How is a single mode thermal field used in scientific research?

A single mode thermal field is commonly used in experiments involving lasers, spectroscopy, and quantum optics. It can also be used to study the properties of materials and their interactions with radiation.

5. What are some real-world applications of single mode thermal fields?

Single mode thermal fields have a wide range of applications, including in telecommunications, medical imaging, and remote sensing. They are also used in industrial processes such as laser cutting and welding.