1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singularities: Complicated function

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the singularities of [tex]f(z) = \frac{{{e^{\frac{1}{{z - 1}}}}}}{{{e^{\frac{1}{z}}} - 1}}[/tex] in the extended complex field, classify them and find Res(f, 0) and Res(f, infinity)

2. Relevant equations

Res(f, z0) = a-1 in the Laurent series around that z0

[tex]{e^z} = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{n!}}} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

It's kind of a difficult function to find singularities from.

First I tried to look at the numerator. I found that 1 is an essential singularity, because the Laurent series of [tex]{{e^{\frac{1}{{z - 1}}}}}[/tex] around 1 is [tex]\sum\limits_{n = o}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n!{{(z - 1)}^n}}}} [/tex], which is a series formed by negative powers of (z-1) only. So the series has infinite negative powers of (z-1)

Then I tried to look at the denominator. I know zero has to be a singularity of some sort, but I can't find a way to classify it or to justify that.

Finally, for the infinity, I make the variable change w = 1/z, then I evaluate [tex]\frac{{{e^{\frac{w}{{1 - w}}}}}}{{{e^w} - 1}}[/tex] when w=0. I find that zero is a simple pole of f(1/w) (because 1/f(1/w) has a simple zero in w=0), then infinity a simple pole of f(z).

How do I find what kind of singularity is z=0?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Anyone?

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    Nobody?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook