Sketch the graph of the wave-function.

In summary, the conversation is about making a graph of the wave-function of a particle in its ground state, given the graph of its potential. The person asks for feedback on their attempt at the graph and is advised to move the peak of the curve slightly to the right.
stefan10

Homework Statement

I am given the graph of the potential of a particle, and the particle is in its ground state. I must make the graph of the wave-function with respect to x.

(A) Sketch psi(x) for this particle.
(B) You make a measurement to find the particle. Indicate on your graph the point or points at which you are most likely to find it.

Homework Equations

Schrodinger's Time Independent equation with the second partial derivative with respect to x of the wave-function on the left-hand side and the Hamiltonian Operator on the right hand side.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attached image. I just want to know if anything is incorrect, or if I am missing something, so that I don't do the rest of the questions fundamentally incorrectly. Thank you!

Attachments

• Quantum Questions 1_2.jpg
    Quantum Questions 1_2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 633
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks almost right to me. :smile:

Expect for one thing, you might want to move the peak of the curve indicated by point B just a touch.

The rightmost section of the wavefunction (right of the rightmost dashed, vertical line) should be curving upwards. But the way you've drawn it, some of the downward curvature from the previous section (The section containing B) looks to have crept over the dashed line.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is a wave-function?

A wave-function is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a wave, such as amplitude, frequency, and wavelength.

How do I sketch the graph of a wave-function?

To sketch the graph of a wave-function, you will need to plot the values of the wave-function on a graph, with the x-axis representing time or distance and the y-axis representing amplitude.

What is the significance of sketching the graph of a wave-function?

Sketching the graph of a wave-function allows you to visualize the behavior of a wave and understand its properties, such as its amplitude, frequency, and wavelength.

What factors can affect the shape of the graph of a wave-function?

The shape of a wave-function graph can be affected by factors such as the type of wave, the medium it is traveling through, and any external forces acting on the wave.

Are there any special techniques for sketching the graph of a wave-function?

There are various techniques that can be used to sketch the graph of a wave-function, such as using trigonometric functions for periodic waves or using Fourier series for more complex wave-functions.