1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch the graph of the wave-function.

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given the graph of the potential of a particle, and the particle is in its ground state. I must make the graph of the wave-function with respect to x.

(A) Sketch psi(x) for this particle.
    (B) You make a measurement to find the particle. Indicate on your graph the point or points at which you are most likely to find it.

2. Relevant equations

Schrodinger's Time Independent equation with the second partial derivative with respect to x of the wave-function on the left-hand side and the Hamiltonian Operator on the right hand side.

3. The attempt at a solution

In the attached image. I just want to know if anything is incorrect, or if I am missing something, so that I don't do the rest of the questions fundamentally incorrectly. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks almost right to me. :smile:

Expect for one thing, you might want to move the peak of the curve indicated by point B just a touch.

The rightmost section of the wavefunction (right of the rightmost dashed, vertical line) should be curving upwards. But the way you've drawn it, some of the downward curvature from the previous section (The section containing B) looks to have crept over the dashed line.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted