Skin effect-skin depth-good conductors

• Thread starter Poly Vas
  • Start date
I am desperate with an assignment and i would be grateful if someone could answer the following question.
I read about skin effect and skin depth and i found the following one.
"The skin effect depends upon the nature of material used for the conductor diameter of the wire, frequency, shape
of the wire. Skin depth varies as the inverse square root of the conductivity. This means that better conductors
have a reduced skin depth."

As i know ac frequences provokes skin depth . Higher frequecnies means smaller skin depth and high Rac Resistance and high losses . I cannot undestand why a ''good conductor'' has a reduced skin depth. I thought that good conductor means bigger skin depth, small resistance Rac and small losses.

Answers and Replies

Qualitatively: A good conductor can have the same current in a smaller area.
The higher conductivity value is more important than the reduced skin depth (just the square root of conductivity), so you still get a smaller resistance from better conductors.

Likes jrive
Thanks a lot for the reply. Last question. I am searching for methods to limit the skin effect in electrical conductors but I dont have electrical backround( I am a civil engineer) could you please tell me some methods to limit the skin effect?

The wikipedia article discusses some approaches. In general, split the current over multiple wires or wire-like things. Get the return lines close together, if reasonable.