Skydiving Analysis Homework: Position, Velocity & Acceleration Graphs

In summary: You could take the derivative of the whole function and plug the values of t back in, but the quadratic would give a better R squared value. To analyze qualitatively and quantitatively, you could do a histogram or a regression curve.
rahul129

Homework Statement

Members of a sky diving club were given the following data to use in planning their jumps. In the table attached, d represents the distance fallen from the rest by a sky diver in a "free-fall stable spread position" verses the time of the fall.Analyze bot qualitatively and quantitatively the motion of a sky diver using the data provided. Draw graphs for position,velocity, and acceleration vs. time.

Homework Equations

None that i know to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kind of a noob at physics so this may be wrong. Quantitatively, the data is increasing, but in different rates. The position vs. time graph would therefore look like an exponential function. Qualitatively, the equation for the data (through a QUAD regression on TI-83) gave me 2.36x2+108.44x-186.32. I do not know how to figure out the velocity or acceleration vs. time graph.

Honestly I have no idea if this is right. Please someone help! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• skydive table.doc
    34 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you thought the position vs. time graph looked like an exponential function (which it is actually is), why did you do a quad regression?

As for v vs. t and a vs. t graphs, how do you calculate velocity from position? Do this to generate a list of velocities. How do you calculate acceleration from velocity? Do this to generate a list of accelerations.

I chose to do a quad regression because it fits the data better. I know this is weird but i don't know why that worked out. Anyways, how would i generate the velocity from position? I was thinking of finding the derivative at each point. I'm not sure if that's correct though.

rahul129 said:
I chose to do a quad regression because it fits the data better. I know this is weird but i don't know why that worked out. Anyways, how would i generate the velocity from position? I was thinking of finding the derivative at each point. I'm not sure if that's correct though.

Finding the derivative at each point is the most accurate way to do it, but it's going to be quite tedious. A simpler way is to calculate the velocity in between, say, 1 s and 2 s as (d2-d1)/(2s - 1 s) and assume that this is equal to the velocity at t=1.5 s. This is only strictly true if acceleration is constant, which it isn't in this case, but the result will be fairly accurate.

Thanks! I have a few more questions though. Can't I just take the derivative of the whole function and plug the values of t back in? How would I analyze this quatitatively and qualitatively? Also I was playing around with the graph in excel and putting the function in a cubic or 4th degree regression yielded a higher R squared value should I use these or the quadratic?

1. What are position, velocity, and acceleration graphs used for in skydiving analysis homework?

Position, velocity, and acceleration graphs are used to track and analyze the movement of a skydiver during their descent. These graphs provide a visual representation of the skydiver's position, speed, and changes in speed over time.

2. How do position, velocity, and acceleration graphs differ from one another?

Position graphs show the skydiver's vertical distance from the ground over time, velocity graphs show the skydiver's speed over time, and acceleration graphs show the changes in the skydiver's speed over time. These graphs are interrelated and can be used to understand the skydiver's overall movement.

3. What information can be gained from analyzing position, velocity, and acceleration graphs in skydiving?

By analyzing these graphs, you can determine the skydiver's initial position, their speed at any given time, and how their speed changes throughout the descent. This information can be used to calculate important factors such as air resistance and the terminal velocity of the skydiver.

4. How can understanding position, velocity, and acceleration graphs help improve skydiving techniques?

By analyzing these graphs, skydivers can identify areas where they may need to adjust their body position or movements to achieve a more efficient descent. They can also use this information to improve their timing and control during the skydive.

5. Are there any limitations to using position, velocity, and acceleration graphs in skydiving analysis?

While these graphs can provide valuable information, they are limited in their ability to capture external factors such as wind speed and direction, which can affect the skydiver's movement. Additionally, these graphs may not be as accurate for more complex maneuvers or in situations where the skydiver's body position changes frequently.