Calculating Time for Sliding Chain through Hole

In summary, the problem involves a flexible chain of mass M and length L on a frictionless table, with a portion of its length L0 hanging through a hole. The goal is to find a general equation for the length of chain through the hole, y(t), as a function of time, using conservation of energy. The final equation is y(t) = Ae^(γt) + Be^(-γt), where γ is a constant. The time when half the chain has gone through the hole can be calculated by setting L = 1.3 m and solving for t using the equation t = √(L/g)*arcosh((L-x0)/x0).
derravaragh

Homework Statement

A flexible chain of mass M and length L lies on a frictionless table, with a very short portion of its length L0 hanging through a hole. Initially the chain is at rest. Find a general equation for y(t), the length of chain through the hole, as a function of time. (Hint: Use conservation of energy. The answer has the form y(t) = Ae^(γt) + Be^(-γt) where γ is a constant.) Calculate the time when 1/2 of the chain has gone through the hole. Data: M = 1.4 kg; L = 2.6 m; L0 = 0.3 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has been asked before, and I've worked through it, but I can't seem to get it right. I've solved the position function to be:
x(t) = (x0/2)e^(√(g/l)t) + (x0/2)e^(-√(g/l)t)

which can then be solved for t to get:
t = √(L/g)*arcosh((L-x0)/x0)

Since I want the time when half the chain has gone though, I solve using L = 1.3 m, but I can't seem to get it. Any help on where I've gone wrong would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
derravaragh said:
x(t) = (x0/2)e^(√(g/l)t) + (x0/2)e^(-√(g/l)t)

which can then be solved for t to get:
t = √(L/g)*arcosh((L-x0)/x0)

Shouldn't the variable x appear on the right hand side of your equation for t? You might double check how you got the expression for t.
Since I want the time when half the chain has gone though, I solve using L = 1.3 m, but I can't seem to get it. Any help on where I've gone wrong would be appreciated.

Doesn't L denote the total length of the chain? So, you aren't free to let it be 1.3 m.

I realized where I went wrong, I had solved for the time t when the entire chain had fallen over the side, so I went back and solved for when x(t) = L/2. Thank you for your help.

1. What is the purpose of sliding a chain through a hole?

The purpose of sliding a chain through a hole is to create a secure connection between two objects or to allow the chain to move freely through the hole without getting tangled or caught on anything.

2. What types of materials can be used for the chain and the hole?

The type of materials used for the chain and the hole can vary depending on the specific application. Common materials for chains include metal, plastic, and rope, while holes can be made of metal, wood, plastic, or other materials that are strong enough to hold the weight of the chain.

3. Is there a specific technique for sliding a chain through a hole?

Yes, there are various techniques for sliding a chain through a hole depending on the type of chain and hole. Some methods include threading the chain through the hole, using a hook to pull the chain through, or using a tool to push the chain through from the other side.

4. What are the benefits of using a sliding chain through a hole?

Using a sliding chain through a hole can provide a strong and secure connection between two objects, as well as allow for easy movement and adjustment of the chain. It can also prevent tangling or snagging of the chain.

5. What are some common applications of sliding chains through holes?

Sliding chains through holes can be used in a variety of applications, such as securing gates or doors, hanging tools or equipment, creating a clothesline, or even in industrial settings for lifting or moving heavy objects. It can also be used in recreational activities like rock climbing or boating.