1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding Chain through Hole

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flexible chain of mass M and length L lies on a frictionless table, with a very short portion of its length L0 hanging through a hole. Initially the chain is at rest. Find a general equation for y(t), the length of chain through the hole, as a function of time. (Hint: Use conservation of energy. The answer has the form y(t) = Ae^(γt) + Be^(-γt) where γ is a constant.) Calculate the time when 1/2 of the chain has gone through the hole. Data: M = 1.4 kg; L = 2.6 m; L0 = 0.3 m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem has been asked before, and I've worked through it, but I can't seem to get it right. I've solved the position function to be:
    x(t) = (x0/2)e^(√(g/l)t) + (x0/2)e^(-√(g/l)t)

which can then be solved for t to get:
    t = √(L/g)*arcosh((L-x0)/x0)

Since I want the time when half the chain has gone though, I solve using L = 1.3 m, but I can't seem to get it. Any help on where I've gone wrong would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't the variable x appear on the right hand side of your equation for t? You might double check how you got the expression for t.
    Doesn't L denote the total length of the chain? So, you aren't free to let it be 1.3 m.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    I realized where I went wrong, I had solved for the time t when the entire chain had fallen over the side, so I went back and solved for when x(t) = L/2. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook